My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.C. question

BrianMcMLG

Congrats, glad it went well. I'll say something I didnt fully comprehend when it was first told to me...you are about to embark on the greatest journey of your life! And so long as your heart and your mind are open and sincere, journey will be a great one, and hopefully will last you a lifetime.

Freemason Connect Mobile

CharlieB813

I think the journey is one of the best parts about masonry . It takes months to become a MM but takes years to earn the respect of well established members and too earn the right to truely call yourself a 'Freemason'

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
Mine was the WM , I believe the SD and another brother whom i just met

I was investigated by a Steward, a Warden and a long tenured member. This taught me a good lesson that I remembered when I went through the line -

Get the new members to stay involved by asking them to investigate candidates. Get old members back involved by asking them to investigate candidates. Have one of the enthusiastic members on the committee to cheer the others one and spread his enthusiasm on them.

Investigating committees are not only about the candidate. They are good for the lodge in more ways than that. They are excellent fellowship and activity that is service to the lodge.

CharlieB813

I totally agree!!! When i was talking to the IC i was asking them alot of the same questions they were asking me like what made them interested in the craft , age the petitioned and all that stuff . The WM looked really happy to be taking a trip down memory lane . One member of the IC was super quiet and didnt speak much . He was a younger guy like myself and i think it might of been his first time on the IC . he looked surprised when i asked him questions lol But overall I think it was a all around pleasant experience for all of us

Freemason Connect Mobile

Plustax

An interesting topic came up with a few brothers this past weekend. A few of them are Past Masters & one made a comment about not approving (or favorable vote) if he knew or discovered a petitioner was a homosexual. I personally don't agree with that lifestyle, but more important in this case was how that this is (or shouldn't) be considered in a vote to become a Mason. Appears to me that "personal" feelings are being brought in on homosexuals joining the fraternity. Again, I don't care or agree with that lifestyle, but is there something anywhere that covers this for a petitioner?

dfreybur

Premium Member
An interesting topic came up with a few brothers this past weekend. A few of them are Past Masters & one made a comment about not approving (or favorable vote) if he knew or discovered a petitioner was a homosexual. I personally don't agree with that lifestyle, but more important in this case was how that this is (or shouldn't) be considered in a vote to become a Mason. Appears to me that "personal" feelings are being brought in on homosexuals joining the fraternity. Again, I don't care or agree with that lifestyle, but is there something anywhere that covers this for a petitioner?

There's no rule in the two jurisdictions where I've read their constitution and by-laws books. The question I would ask myself - Is my objection political and/or religious? Those are topics we do not discuss in lodge. Does our don't-ask-don-t-tell approach to politics and religious apply to this subject in this way?

I know how I answer myself on those questions, but what my answer is is far less interesting than the questions themselves.