My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have received 6 Blackballs

Winter

Premium Member
Ours is like this. You put your hand in and select the shape you want. It is always interesting seeing the small variations in jurisdictions.
1666348469714.png

Winter

Premium Member
For him a cube rejects and a rubber ball elects.
He would not pick a ceramic ball.
Still don't understand why you would need a ceramic ball and rubber ball in the ballot box. Wouldn't the shape of a sphere feel the same for someone who is visually impared, regardless of material?

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
Still don't understand why you would need a ceramic ball and rubber ball in the ballot box. Wouldn't the shape of a sphere feel the same for someone who is visually impared, regardless of material?
So rubber feels like ceramic?

I don't understand what's so hard to understand.

Do you need a photo?

Winter

Premium Member
So rubber feels like ceramic?

I don't understand what's so hard to understand.

Do you need a photo?
The part that is difficult to understand is that a sphere does not feel like a cube. It doesn't matter what they're made of. If a person can't see them, wouldn't the difference in shape be enough for them to cast their ballot correctly? I'm obviously missing something here.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
The part that is difficult to understand is that a sphere does not feel like a cube. It doesn't matter what they're made of. If a person can't see them, wouldn't the difference in shape be enough for them to cast their ballot correctly? I'm obviously missing something here.
I didn't create the system, just explaining what we use.

Keith C

Ours are like this one. The balls/cubes are in the front box, you pick the one you want and drop it into the little chute. After everyone has voted, the Senior Deacon closes the front box, goes to the Wardens and Master to show them the contents of the back box.
View attachment 6978

Ours look just like this. But only balls, black and white. Same procedure as outlined above.

Bloke

Premium Member
Here is a related question. Does anyone here actually use black balls in their ballot? I've only ever seen cubes.
Yes. We use black and white spheres and not cubes. Indeed, I have never seen cubes in Victoria Australia -but am sure they are out there somewhere. Our Constitution actually speaks of "black balls"

225. No person can be made a Freemason if, on the ballot, three black balls appear against him, though a Lodge may resolve that two black balls shall be sufficient to exclude a candidate. It is permissible for two or more candidates to be balloted for together, but if, on examination of the ballot, the number of black balls required for exclusion is found, the Master shall declare that ballot void and shall proceed to conduct a separate ballot for each person.