My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wish to become a freemason. Where do I start?

crono782

Premium Member
Again I'm not super familiar w/ UK, but in general just a belief in a supreme being (no specific religion is required), no crimes of moral turpitude, male, of age, etc.

Visit the brethren at the lodge. Meet and get to know them. Spend time with them. Ask for a petition an eventually you will find recommenders. Turn it in and it gets voted on and so forth.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
I have email the brotherhood but no response at all, I want to become a mason

Show up in person at the nearest lodge. Some folks are good at responding to email some aren't. You'll need to start showing up in person at some point and the best time to start is now.

crono782

Premium Member
I put "mainstream" in quotes like that because "mainstream" is a misnomer. Of course both are indeed mainstream, but (as ive said in other posts) in the absence of a term to differentiate non-PHA, a lot of folks use "mainstream". It's not meant to imply that prince hall masonry is somehow niche. Just semantics. Masonry really needs to get on the ball and create a proper title for non-PHA so we don't have to rehash this every time. ^_-

Freemason Connect Mobile

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
Since when is Prince Hall Masonry not "mainstream"?

This is why I sometimes use "George Washington" versus "Prince Hall" in general discussion. It's not a general term but everyone understands what I mean whether they agree with my usage or not. Better that than suggesting a heritage older than my own country is not "mainstream". When referring to specific pairs of GLs I'll use acronyms like GLofIL and MWPHAGLofIL for clarity.

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
I put "mainstream" in quotes like that because "mainstream" is a misnomer. Of course both are indeed mainstream, but (as ive said in other posts) in the absence of a term to differentiate non-PHA, a lot of folks use "mainstream". It's not meant to imply that prince hall masonry is somehow niche. Just semantics. Masonry really needs to get on the ball and create a proper title for non-PHA so we don't have to rehash this every time. ^_-

Freemason Connect Mobile

Ah, but Brother Daniel, when will that day come? You may have to re-hash that every time you put your fingers to the keyboard. You know as well as I do that the system is still antiquated and it moves at a snail's pace to get anything done, and I mean anything.