My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Custom Apron

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
A Brother in the UK was going through his father's Masonic memorabilia, and came across this interesting apron. He can't remember where his father acquired it; it was a gift 40-odd years ago. Has any Brother here seen one like this before?

P1010232.JPG

Browncoat

I don't think that's an apron. There are no tie strings, no flap, and no pocket. Looks more like a homegrown project.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
I agree it doesn't look very much like an apron. As well as the bits missing mentioned above the tassle effect going all the way around the edge makes it appear not to be a garment to wear as you would normally have tassles on the sides and bottom but not on the top edge.

Obviously it isn't of English origin because we don't use the "G" in the S&C and the Irish only use it for a Past Master so it would kind of suggest an origin in Scotland if it was actually made in the British Isles.

An interesting talking point though.

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The Brother in question called it an apron, so I kept that description.
His father received it from a Native American (US or Canada, he can't remember which), so I'm guessing it was a colloquial gift and never intended to be meant as a ritual apron, per se.
Basically, he wondered if any of us this side of the pond had seen a similar item before.

Proudvet09

If nothing else it worth doing the research for the pleasure of being enlightened

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App