My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Investigation Committee Resources

bupton52

Premium Member
Should a petitioners facebook or other social media account be used as part of the investigation process? Your thoughts?

crono782

Premium Member
I used it in the course of the last IC I was on. Turned out I had mutual friends of the petitioner and inquired them about his character. Nothing terribly intrusive though.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Should a petitioners facebook or other social media account be used as part of the investigation process? Your thoughts?
I would say yes.

If the profile is public then have at it. If the petitioner counters what he told you during an investigation then that would say something about his character. You did not put it on the web for all to see. He did.

dmurawsky

Premium Member
I would say yes.

If the profile is public then have at it. If the petitioner counters what he told you during an investigation then that would say something about his character. You did not put it on the web for all to see. He did.
I agree. Though I would add to take things on Facebook and the like with a grain of salt. Further, you shouldn't let your personal political or other convictions taint the view of the applicant. What I mean by that is if they are actively pro something that you are against, It might be good to ignore that unless you firmly believe it reflects on their character.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
"If the profile is public..." then go right ahead. Also google his name, as well as using the publicly available court resources. I have found more useful information online than a paid "background check" came up with.

JJones

If he's wanting to join your lodge then you want to know everything about the man yes? Especially if he might represent your lodge and fraternity within your community? I'd say that it's absolutely appropriate.

Willys

Premium Member
Facebook is an internet toy. It was created and nurtured by some people who made a lot of money off of it. It's still a toy. Regard it's usefulness as such.

My page says I'm from Hong Kong and live in Amsterdam. Yet shows my Lodge in Houston as a friend. No one needs to know who exactly that person is other than a friend, particularly one who understands my regard for anonymous toys. I have been to Amsterdam a few times - yes. Hong Kong is on my bucket list.

It's kinda like standing on the Rio Grande border with hordes of strangers and other ruffians walking by...

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I would say yes.

Although I am new to the Craft this sounds logical to me. Prospective employers use Facebook info to screen applicants.