My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It Doesn't Have to Be Like This

Zack

What better way to implant the lessons of Masonry firmly in the mind than through repetition and memorization?

Imo, they have to be learned and understood before they can be acted upon.

dfreybur

Premium Member
What better way to implant the lessons of Masonry firmly in the mind than through repetition and memorization?

I have met brothers who could recite the ritual and lectures word perfect, even the stage directions. Yet they could not discuss its meaning to save their lives.

Imo, they have to be learned and understood before they can be acted upon.

Understanding is key. Even at the level of discussing the exact words to understand the content of the ritual at more than an outline level. Once I puzzled out what each line meant, the ritual went from morality plays to rich sources of meaning and vocabulary. And from there started the Masonic education that's about other than ritual. Masonic training is about what the ritual is. Masonic education is about that which is outside the ritual.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I have met brothers who could recite the ritual and lectures word perfect, even the stage directions. Yet they could not discuss its meaning to save their lives.
Exactly. Luckily I have access to a number of people that can explain things and I do my own research. I love Masonry and want to learn everything that I am capable of learning.