My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Etiquette

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Have you ever had just a total lapse in masonic etiquette when in a meeting? A time when you did not follow, only by accident, proper masonic etiquette? How did you keep this from embarrassing you the next time?

BETA APP

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I figure we have all done it at some point. I know I did once during a discussion over something trivial. I let my passion get the better of me. Now when I stand to address the Lodge or something I make a conscious effort to follow the proper etiquette. I reckon since I am still a fairly new MM it hasn't really become the habit I hope it will.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
It was a weird situation. It was a stated meeting and I was a visitor. Usually, when I have visited the WM ask the visitors to stand and introduce themselves, give their lodge name\number, and office they may hold. For some reason the SD started talking, then the SD asked they visitors to stand and give the three items. For some reason, I'm very embarrased to say, I did not say WM, Wardens, and Brethen. The rest i just spit it all out backwards. After I sat down I realized what I had done and felt horrible. There were a lot of brothers there, too. So much for the newbie mm looking good infront of the seasoned veterans... I hope that doesnt happen again. :eek:

BETA APP

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
We were having a discussion over fire alarms. I initially stood and addressed everyone the proper way, but a little later someone said something, I don't remember what, but I stood up, cut them off, and corrected what they were saying. Everyone just turned and looked at me. I later stood up and apologized for my behavior. A couple of the Brothers later told me not to worry about what I said and stated that if it weren't for me they would have done the same thing. It was embarrassing but I learned something from it.

chrmc

I'm always torn about lodge etiquette. In many sense I think the lodge room should be a solemn place not used outside of degrees or meetings, and where there is no horseplay or anything taking place. On the other hand I also think that joking and friendly banter brings us closer together as brothers, and I like that we make the lodge room a warm place of togetherness and unity.

The line is probably not that hard to draw, but I do find us sometimes wondering if the line was crossed a bit.