My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Signs and the traveling mason

Uscgmason

So I'm in Maine, home on a little vacation, and I decided since my grandfather is a Mason here that I would try to attend lodge one night with him. Driving around looking for his lodge and just visitinh friends I realized something. At almost every major road on town lines there are A.F&A.M signs with the lodge number and meeting day/time. I can honestly say I don't recall seeing anything like that down in TX. It is incredibly helpful to the traveling mason.

nwendele

It would be nice to see more of those. I wonder why they are becoming so rare? I do see them, but not often. On the way back to our little cabins in Gruene, I saw a road sign for a lodge, most likely New Braunfels. I was concentrating on not hitting any deer, so I didn't see if meeting times were posted. Just nice to know a bit of home is in town.

Last edited:

Nate C.

Sean, you can still spot them around SE Texas but they aren't as prevalent as they once were. Have a safe vacation. If you are back in town by Wednesday (22 June), we are having an EA.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I don't notice too many here in Oklahoma either, but I do notice them quiet often in Kansas when I am up there. There are no times listed but the sign is there to let people know. I have noticed also that most of them seem relatively new.

MikeMay

Premium Member
At almost every major road on town lines there are A.F&A.M signs with the lodge number and meeting day/time. I can honestly say I don't recall seeing anything like that down in TX. It is incredibly helpful to the traveling mason.

Used to see them in smaller towns, not so much anymore. It would be cool to see more of them for sure...

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Yea, I remember seeing the signs that the state would put up. The Brown ones that usually indicate some sort of site of importance sort of like the historic downtown squares in the smaller towns. I used to remember seeing these signs up all over the place and it would even have an arrow pointing to the road to turn down to get to the lodge. Not so much anymore now that I think about it. It would be a great help.

Now, if I am looking for a lodge that I want to visit, I just use my iPhone to search for the address and then GPS the address...lol

gnarledrose

After reading this topic yesterday, we just happened to have a lodge planning meeting for 2012 and someone else brought these up-- according to one of our oldest Past Masters, these types of signs used to be everywhere in Utah, but the state eventually outlawed them for some reason. I think they'd be a great help for Traveling Men, but as Bro. Stedman just pointed out, you can accomplish the same thing with a quick Google search, and even without smart phones, I don't know of any local library that doesn't provide internet access.

nwendele

In addition to helping travelling Brothers, seeing a lodge sign every time one drives in and out of town might remind a future brother what is waiting for him. Kind of a mini-billboard without overtly advertising.

SC Heston

Premium Member
Does anyone know how I can get a sign for our lodge? Who to contact?

Check with your local City Hal for the rules & regulations for the sign, but you can purchase them online.

Simply search {insert your favorite search engine here} for "Road Signs".