My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Tattoo

ondruch

Brothers can do what they want. Remember that freemasonry is an internal decision. An obligation between you and the craft. One of the best traits about us is our ability to find each other in the dark as well as in the light. Please take the time to really study the cifer and converse with your brothers. Your lodge and others. Reach out to your Grand Lodges and ask questions. Your district lectures and your lodge counselors. All of this is here for us as brothers. Use caution on your interpretations of what cifer means and does not mean. Remember to always seek further light. I wish you the best.

My Freemasonry HD

ondruch

If you are filled with pride to be a mason. Attend more meetings. Do more good work and then repeat the above. Take that extra money and give it to someone that needs it. Every lodge has a destitute brother. They call it enlightenment for a reason.

My Freemasonry HD

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
It does not say the lodge can not. It say you as a mason can not. My Freemasonry HD
This is beginning to drift into areas I'm not comfortable going into in an on-line forum. A) What lodge are you a member of and what grand lodge does it belong to? B) I would seek out the advice of your lodge mates if you belong to a regular and duly constituted lodge because this isn't the place to argue what is and is not "secret." Your Worshipful master or a Past Master should be able to clue you in on what is acceptable to share as a Master Mason.

MarkR

Premium Member
I've never heard anything in any degree tell me that I can't have an S&C tattooed on my body. I have it on my ring, on my belt buckle, on a couple of caps, on the rear window of my car, on a few shirts...always remember that while there are some things that are universal in Freemasonry, there are many, many things that are law in one Grand Lodge that are not in another.

ondruch

The rules may be different, but the obligation is the same. I've been to many degrees, in many states and many countries. Even in languages, I have not understood. The words are different, but the obligation is the same. This is so unfortunate about this. I understand why an earlier post said it is a hamster wheel. It appears no one really listens to their obligation. Hence the same argument. Over and over. I am stepping out of this discussion. Not because I do not want to respond to what Grand Lodge I am part of, or what lodge I am a member of. It is because it is all the same fraternal order and we should all be on the same page, and in the discussion, I am not with like minded brothers. That upsets me. I am a traveling man, someday I will very likely be to your lodge, and my stance will be the same. There is no place for a tattoo of the square and compass on a mason. Not just because it violates an obligation, but it also cheapens the value of the symbol. This is coming from mason with many tattoos. God speed my brother who asked this question. Let your light be your guide.

Why is it tattoos have been around for such a long time, and it is only in the recent years, masons and non masons alike are tattooing themselves with the square and compass? Perhaps the craft is loosing its way? I am not sure, but it is a very real question. And one that every mason should be asking themselves.

On the level.

My Freemasonry HD

Jason S

I look at it this way every tattoo I have is a reminder of my past, some good memories and some bad. Before I got my Masonic tattoo I asked several MWPGM's what they thought and their response was as long as it is in good taste and didn't reveal any secrets there was no problem.

My Freemasonry HD

lmeeks357

That's wat my wm told me also, but if u look at it its in the grey areA as far as viloation goes, I don't think it would cheapen the value of the symbols like bro ondruch said but will show the pride of being a mason, they can take anything they want but will never take a man journey, n if the want to display the symbols then why not , unfortunately every brother doesn't go by the book

BlessingofKingSolomon

Good afternoon brothers. My name is bro Barnes from semper fidelis lodge number #680. My personal opinion is a brother should be able to show his masonic pride in any manner in which he so fits.

My Freemasonry HD

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Brother "ondruch," I am saddened that you would prefer to step out of the conversation rather than assist your Brethren in what you obviously consider a lack in their education. As you are the only one who has interpreted your Obligation to state that we cannot display the Lights of our Craft, I am curious what I have supposedly missed.
If we don't share the Light, we remain in Darkness.

lmeeks357

Differences will only make us wiser, seeing the Differences between lodges and other districts can help our source of light , I'm not sadden but more dissapointed but at the end off the day we are all brothers and just like brothers we will disagree but at the end agree to the brotherly love that should be bestowed upon every brother in need of more light . We are traveling upon the level of time and no time should be wasted . Lets act upon the square my brothers ;-)

MarkR

Premium Member
The rules may be different, but the obligation is the same. I've been to many degrees, in many states and many countries. Even in languages, I have not understood. The words are different, but the obligation is the same. This is so unfortunate about this. I understand why an earlier post said it is a hamster wheel. It appears no one really listens to their obligation. Hence the same argument. Over and over. I am stepping out of this discussion. Not because I do not want to respond to what Grand Lodge I am part of, or what lodge I am a member of. It is because it is all the same fraternal order and we should all be on the same page, and in the discussion, I am not with like minded brothers. That upsets me. I am a traveling man, someday I will very likely be to your lodge, and my stance will be the same. There is no place for a tattoo of the square and compass on a mason. Not just because it violates an obligation, but it also cheapens the value of the symbol. This is coming from mason with many tattoos. God speed my brother who asked this question. Let your light be your guide.

Why is it tattoos have been around for such a long time, and it is only in the recent years, masons and non masons alike are tattooing themselves with the square and compass? Perhaps the craft is loosing its way? I am not sure, but it is a very real question. And one that every mason should be asking themselves.

On the level.

My Freemasonry HD
No, you can't tell the rest of us that we've lost our way, and then step out of the discussion without backing up your statement. How is a tattoo of a square and compasses any different than a ring, belt buckle, etc? My lodge has been fortunate enough to have candidates to go through all the degrees three times a year. I have been at every one. I've heard the obligations many, many times. I've never heard tattoos mentioned.

What we are not to make legible or communicate to those not entitled are the methods of recognition, the manner of conferring the degrees, the legend of the third degree, and the obligations themselves. The symbols, such as the S&C, plumb, level, ashlars, etc. are NOT covered by what we are obligated not to reveal. They are openly displayed everywhere.

DJGurkins

Floresville #515
Premium Member
I have been taught that the symbols are a way to remind us of the different parts of the teachings so as not to write them out. Seeing as everyone knows that the Square and Compasses are a symbol used by Freemasonry no explanation is needed. If some one doesn't know all that needs be said it is a Masonic symbol.

crono782

Premium Member
Don't make the mistake of confusing the symbol with the thing being symbolized....

A symbol is intended to be an outward representation of something so that the meaning can either be hidden or individually interpreted... or both.

My Freemasonry HD