My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

May we innovate in freemasonry?

I’m a thinker.

And by thinker, I mean that I like thinking about things that other people, who are not me, can do. Some would call me lazy. Fair ’nuff.

My saving grace, however, is that I’m actually half-ways decent at it. I enjoy coming up with out of the box solutions, or even the obvious solution that no one else seems to mention. I like crafting new ideas, like Masonic Man Cave Condos, and seeing if anyone digs the concept.

Freemasonry is, in many ways, stuck in a rut. We’ve got this brilliant wave of young, energetic guys who are attracted to it, but we absolutely bleed demits when we can’t meet their needs. Some of this we can’t really do anything about. Sometimes the expectations of new masons are impossibly high, or they just want to be entertained. Sometimes a vibrant mason is stuck in a geographic area where every lodge within fifty miles is an old-man coffee club. But a lot of these issues are solvable with some innovative solutions. Some are small innovations. Some are paradigm shifts that need to happen. Freemasonry, somewhat ironically, has a pretty steep top-down power structure that can make even small changes nearly impossible.

But then that’s what freemasonry teaches, doesn’t it? One bit of great advice in freemasonry is that our leaders are charged to resist innovations in the craft. So that means we can’t innovate in freemasonry, right?

No. I really don’t think that’s what it means.

Resist doesn’t mean to deny.

Think of a circuit board. A circuit board is basically a change machine. Changing something from off to on. Changing the channel on your TV. Changing the volume on your amp from low to face-melter. And the circuit board is loaded with resistors. But those resistors aren’t there to to stop the current of change; they’re there to slow it down, and shape it into what it needs to be to affect positive change without blowing the whole thing up.

Should we resist innovation in freemasonry? Absolutely. Guys like me will shout out a dozen ideas a day. A lot of them will be crap and easy to dismiss. A few of them will sound too good to be true. They need to be resisted, tested, questioned, paced out, and dissected, because sometimes the shiny facing drops away and that great idea turns out to be terribly, unintentionally destructive.

But sometimes, one in a hundred, one in a thousand, whatever, an idea is actually really good. Could be big, could be small, and it’s resisted, and tested, and survives testing, and tried, and it succeeds where it’s tried, and it needs to grow, and the Craft, which is also a progressive science, needs to change.

Because freemasonry needs to change. Change to fit a new, strange world. Change to fit an age of information. Change to remember that different people are different, and what works for Peter in Paulville may not work for Paul in Peterton. In truth, a lot of that change means going back to our roots. But some of it means going forward into undiscovered countries. Don’t be scared.

Resist.

But don’t be impossible. Because this too shall pass.

b.gif

Continue reading...

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
In my life I have gone to a lot of weekend retreats. Many of these were focused on teaching a specific concept or broadening your mind in some way. The best of them were designed or run by psychologists who really understood the human mind. (And before anyone asks - Yes, I have been to retreat designed by Dr. Phil :)) My point here is that in my obligation I swore to assist my Brothers by helping them see their errors. I have suggestion for how to accomplish this.

A weekend mens retreat designed around the principles and tools of Freemasonry would be a wonderful chance for men to grow in knowledge of themselves, and of the world around them. Additionally, I believe that it is exactly the kind of thing that many young Masons are looking for. I have talked to several young Masons who demitted because they were bored with Masonry and didn't see how attending boring business meetings was making them better men. For those who want, and are ready for, some high powered, intense Freemasonry, let's offer it to them. Since I am not talking about doing this in a tiled Lodge, this should be considered no different from a Bunch of Masons going camping together and talking about Masonry around the campfire.

I am interested in hearing about any upcoming Masonic conference or retreat. Simply click on my avatar and click "start a conversation" and tell me about any upcoming events that you are aware of.
(P.S. If the moderators started a category for "Conventions, Retreats, and Get-Togethers" I wouldn't complain)

JJones

Freemasonry was 'innovated' several times i as it adapted and evolved to the times (operative to speculative, taverns to masonic temples, temples to lodges, etc.). How we met has changed and the ritual has changed. Did the warnings against innovation even exist in the ritual before the Webb/Preston changes came about?