My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music in Lodge

marty15chris

Premium Member
Just curious to see what everyone's thoughts were on music in the lodge. When do you use it, (during rituals, voting, to fill time?). And if so what music do you use? I've heard Mozart did a few pieces for his lodge plus the magic flute piece.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
Organist is a standard officer chair, though not many lodges are able to fill that chair in recent decades. Music is one of the seven liberal arts and sciences so it's clearly valued. Tables lodges can include shared songs.

There are plenty of points in the ritual with floor work but no ritual spoken work. There are points were the action breaks and free form items can be inserted. In both cases it works well for the organist to play briefly.

One of my lodges is lucky enough to have an active PM who does both organist and committee work. He plays anything from classics to Simon and Garfunkel. It's mood music mostly.

Plustax

We have a professional Trumpeter in our Lodge. A very good one with high credentials (played several times @ White House, also with Tony Bennett, Herp Albert, Ella Fitzgerald, & even had his orchestra on old "Dallas" TV series(Baron's Ball) several times. Our original "Ameritus" musician still attends & I was told that he was the first assigned masonic musician in Texas. Don't know what year it was, but he is 83yrs young. I have also seen documentation that he helped build the Hubble telescope way back when getting ready to send up. I find it fascinating & interesting to learn what many of our own local masons have done & accomplished in their lives.

catsale

What lodges in Texas use music in some of their degrees. I would like to visit a lodge (hopefully in Houston area) to watch.

FlBrother324

I like when we use music during ritual as it can enhance the experience.

Until last year we had an amazingly talented Brother for our organist. R:.W:. Earl G. Past to the Celestial Lodge above at 93. He is, and will be missed. May TGAOTU give him a place in His Kingdom surrounded by beautiful music.
Br. Earl played during Openings, Closings, to fill gaps, during Rituals. He always knew when and what to play.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
On a lighter note:

[video=youtube;ja2BzVFpP8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja2BzVFpP8Q[/video]

Edit: The lodge was not at labor. (note the VSL) so no issues with the guys having a good time.

p.s.

this is not my lodge.