My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music in the degrees

Mac

Premium Member
Does anyone in a regular Texas lodge make use of music in their degree work?

If so what music, and in which degree?

Benton

Premium Member
If I ever get out of school (soon! *crosses fingers) I'd very much like to do a Grand Lodge wide survey on this subject, being a musician myself.

catsale

The music does not even have to be from a live instrument like an organ. Could be tape recorded or be played from a digital music file. I suspect you could play background instrumental while someone is circumambulating around and then cut the music when talking needs to happen. Or play music during an obvious part of the 3rd degree. Would someone send me a private message if this is too delicate to discuss? I just want to know what music is used and if there is a lodge in Houston area I could visit to witness. One piece of music we used in college fraternity was Tubular Bells but only in the waiting area.

DJGurkins

Floresville #515
Premium Member
We have a organ but nobody to play it anymore. I think I heard we used to have a Bro. Who played it all the time.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using My Freemasonry HD Pro mobile app

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I am a musician for 4 Lodges in Florida. I play during any silent sections while at labor for regular Lodge business, all three Degrees, Installations, Freemasonic funerals and special visitations. The music I play is dominated by Revolutionary and Civil war era instrumentals. I play all this on amplified Irish Whistles and Digital Drums. Occasionally I have a MP3 background file accompanying me during intermissions and pre/post Lodge activities. I am always invited back to those lodges I play outside the lodges I am usually musician for. I have also provided Degree music for Lodges in CO, IL, GA and other states that I have visited over the years and had a chance to attend their Degrees. Always a good time when they accept my offer to play. BTW - It's rare that I don't travel with at least one whistle.

tomasball

Premium Member
There was a period...sometime mid twentiety century I think, when music in degrees was not allowed, under the theory that we wanted everybody to be doing things exactly the same, and some lodges couldn't arrange to have music. There was an paper about that presented to the TLR, once again I can't say when, but I did read it. I'm not sure that policy was ever officially reversed, but inasmuch as the Grand Lodge approved the office of "Lodge Musician" I think we can assume that he is expected to play during degrees. Does anyone have the latest monitor, to see what the charge is when installing the Lodge Musician?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Does anyone have the latest monitor, to see what the charge is when installing the Lodge Musician?
"Brother Marshal, you will seat the Marshal and Master of Ceremonies and present the Musician for installation.
Brother Marshal you will invest the Musician with the insignia of his office which is the lyre.
Brother it is your duty to furnish suitable music for the Lodge on all proper occasions. In discharging the duties of this office your talents and zeal will be of inestimable value and a source of genuine pleasure to the brethren.
Brother Marshal, you will seat the Musician and present the Tiler for installation"

Lot of help, isn't it? :wink:

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
We have an organist who plays during the circumambulation as the chaplin recites the appropriate verse.

Last edited:

KyPastMaster

Digging through one of the many rooms in the vastly huge temple my lodge meets in I found a set of record albums in the sound and lighting room . Each album was appropriately labeled for each Craft degree and YR degree . On the sleeves of each album were list of instrumentals and instructions for when each piece of music should be played during the degree .

So I know music was used at one time in my lodge and in my state .

dfreybur

Premium Member
Well there is a funeral dirge in one degree. So I guess there could be background music to go with the singing.

The dirge that I've seen used in other states is listed as an alternate in Texas. The comments in the books for my other states list a specific tune for the dirge.

Music soothes the savage beast. We all have some of that inside us. One of our goals in Masonry is to harness our passions so music is a natural supporting practice.