My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Dad

HKTidwell

Premium Member
Several years ago I first considered Masonry. I had done enough research online to know the age old arguments about Masonry and had already made my decision that based upon all the information I had at that time that Masonry was not a bad thing. I asked my dad about Masonry because dad has alot of knowledge about different things (Dads know everything right?). Dad told me his best friend in life was a mason and he had never asked him to join but implied if he was ever interested to let him know. Dad had lunch with his friend and made sure that I was there. During the course of the lunch dad told Elvis (Was an Elvis before the King) that I was interested in Masonry. Elvis told me that it would make me a better man and that it had impacted his life. During this conversation I never felt that he was pushing me to join but you could tell that he wanted me to.

After that lunch my life got busy and I kept putting off applying. There was never a question if it was merely a matter of when. I visited a lodge, and again put things on the back burner.

My dad serves on a board of directors and their General Manager is a Mason. Well the General Manager would stop by our office to talk to dad, get him to sign things, for various reasons but he always was wearing a ring, or key chain etc.. I knew the General Manager but did not want to interfere with dads business relations, so I asked dad if it would in anyways affect him, the board of directors, or his relationship with the General Manager if I asked for a petition and recommendation. Dad was emphatic that it would not and that I should talk to the General Manager. The next time the General Manager was at our office Dad tells him I'd like to talk to him. We chatted and he brought me an application the same day.

My mother was adament up front that it was a cult etc. and my dad was always in the background defending freemasonry while he isn't even a Mason. Dad was always there telling me I should join and the reason he had never joined was due to time. Once I joined in a random conversation one day he tells me that he is to old to Join. I know that he would like to but he is worried about not being able to do the required Esoteric work. While I can not ask him to join how do you go about relieving the worry about the work?

I would love to have my father in lodge with me! I just don't want to cross my duty or that line in the sand of not asking.

JBD

Premium Member
He is most likely not too old. If he is in control of his mental facilities he is not too old. It MAY take him a little longer to learn the work, but he is NOT too old, there are several older men I have seen come through - some were hard of hearing, moved a little slower, talked a little slower, but NOT too old. Get him a petition, do it today!!!

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I left this tidbit out of my post. Since I have joined my mother has done a 180 degree flip on her opinion of Freemasonry.

Nate Riley

Premium Member
My mom and dad were the exact same. Dad's dad was a mason and Dad had been in Demolay, but never petitioned due to time (or that was his excuse). But Mom doesn't look well on Masonry. I have never come out and told her I am a Mason or even talked about it, although I think she knows something because of the stuff I have around the house. A little while before Dad died we were out on the road and I expressed my interest. He told me that it was a good organization and the Grandpa loved it and so would I.

It sounds like this is something your dad wants to do. Let him know that the esoteric work is not as bad as it seems when you are on the outside. At least that is my opinion. There is something about it that draws you in and keeps you wanting more.

fairbanks1363pm

i think learning and teaching the work is fune. thats how you encourage him. it would be fun for you do this together. when we have an older guy who has a problem memorizing we teach them as much as we can and vote the candidate proficient. individual lodges decide on how proficient a candidate is. i have seen many proud masons who because of health or other reasons come in like this. they always stick around and are hard working masons.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
How well a brother learns his memory work is not necessarily a good indicator of the amount of future lodge participation.