My personal take on the Shrine

Discussion in 'Shrine' started by cemab4y, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Benton

Benton Premium Member

Not a Shriner (plan on joining someday, just not now) but I couldn't agree more. The Shrine is going to have to decide someday who they're going to be.

2. chancerobinson

chancerobinson Registered User

Some Shrine Temples have continued the traditional second section of the ceremonial. I was made a Shriner this past fall and from the posts I see here I am thankful I was able to go through the hot sands. I didn't realize that some temples had discontinued this portion of the ceremony all together.

3. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

The Shrine has dropped the term "temples" . The correct term is Shrine "Center". (Some Shrine Centers, still display the word "temple" on their buildings, but the term is obsolete, notwithstanding.

4. MikeMay

MikeMay Premium Member

Why are they gone?

5. Beathard

Beathard Premium Member

Hazing is no longer allowed. I heard it was an order from Imperial after some candidates were hurt, but that is a 20+ year old memory.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  6. MikeMay

MikeMay Premium Member

Where is the fun in that? :crying:

Couldn't they be "warm" sands and pretend they're hot? :blink:

7. Beathard

Beathard Premium Member

Actually that is done a lot. Some sons of Shriners get it a little warmer than others.

8. MikeMay

MikeMay Premium Member

That's good...I'm not much for cold anything unless its my Ice Tea...

9. fairbanks1363pm

fairbanks1363pm Registered User

i know theat Arabia did some fun stuff in their last ceremony(no electricity involved). We had a class of 25. all had fun

10. Txmason

Txmason Registered User

What is the hot sands? Cold Sands? What is the difference? As I'm thinking of joining the Shrine. Do they still do that at the Houston Temple?

Jerry

11. Beathard

Beathard Premium Member

Hot sands is no longer allowed. It included the safe use of electricity to make the candidate jump around in a manner that would be homesite to the members. It caused a few men to fall and injure themselves. The imperial potentate said no more due to risk reasons.

12. fairbanks1363pm

fairbanks1363pm Registered User

Brother Jerry,
    Please let me know if you would like to visit Arabia Shrine Center. I am a member of the Sportsmen unit. We raise money by having a clay shoot and a fishing tournament. Our president is from Montgomery as well. He is a member of Planter and Fairbanks Lodge.

13. Txmason

Txmason Registered User

What is the hot sands? Cold Sands? What is the difference? As I'm thinking of joining the Shrine. Do they still do that at the Houston Temple?

Jerry

14. Beathard

Beathard Premium Member

Look at my note two before this one. Hot sands had hazing. Cold sands does not.

15. Txmason

Txmason Registered User

Any chance I could talk to the fellow brother from Montgomery about the Shrine?

16. LRG

LRG Premium Member

Hey Brother,
    PM me with any questions please

17. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

== Some Shrine centers (the word "Temple" is obsolete) have some funny hazing. Squirting with water, that sort of tom-foolery. It is called "hot sands". Most Shrine centers have phased out the hazing, and the initiation ceremony is more dignified. Ceremonies that have no hazing is called "cold sands".

I suggest that you ask your local Shrine center directly, if they have hot sands or cold sands.

I encourage you to seriously consider joining the Shrine. I have cherished the Shrine since 1988. When I lived in Columbus OH, I was in five(5) Shrine clubs, and president of one of them. My wife and I were doing some Shrine activity every weekend. We especially enjoyed the "hillbillies". We dressed up in hillbilly costumes, and had covered dish suppers, and drank "white lightning", and danced all night. What a blast!

18. choppersteve03

choppersteve03 Premium Member

Iam gonna join the gotto and maybe the sojourners. Deffinately joining SR.

19. choppersteve03

choppersteve03 Premium Member

I do think the shrine is cool,but they seem to be getting away from tradition, i mean a name change,really?

20. Txmason

Txmason Registered User

Bro. Wes,

I've decided to join the Shrine. Not sure which club yet. Am going to New Caney's meeting tomorrow night Wed, September 6. I emailed them but have not heard from them.

Can you put me in touch with your guy from Montgomery? Also what is your number love to talk with you if you have a chance about the Shrine.

Best,
    Jerry

Share My Freemasonry