My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OS X Mavericks

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Have any of you Mac users upgraded yet? Pros or cons? I haven't been on an Apple for long, so I have no real experience with an OS change. :scared:

nixxon2000

Premium Member
Not a huge difference between mountain lion and mavericks. Just a few minor changes. No big deal.

My Freemasonry HD

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Failed to download, jacked my OS. I bought my system used, so my account with Apple has no OS history. *oh joy*

robhummeljr

Only glaring issue I've had with it so far was the headache of locating where apple moved network monitor to. As a network engineer it was a bit frustrating having to hunt around to find a tool that I use on daily basis. Other than that the difference between the two is minimal, its a nice upgrade.

ej6267

I am so sorry I updated my iMac from OS10.6 to Maverick. It's slowed the computer to a crawl, plus something is eating away at my hard drive space without telling me what it is. In the last two weeks I've gone from 18G free space to less than ten, with me frantically deleting files just so I can download my podcasts. Anybody else having this issue?

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

robhummeljr

Look on google on how to disable time machine on local drive. That's the culprit for the missing disk space.

ej6267

Are you sure? My system preferences has a Lacie external hard drive specified for for the backup location, and I only plugged it in once since the upgrade.

robhummeljr

Mountain lion introduced the time machine feature to also created backups on the local drive (in case you were on the road and didn't have your external you could still recover deleted files or programs). It's not space friendly at all.

ej6267

Thanks. Aargh, I hate Apple, yet I'm so in love with it!

robhummeljr

I use a MacBook Pro 15 with the retina display. It was driving me bonkers that disk space was disappearing at an alarming rate. And then I learned why. Sure it's a great idea but maybe let the user decide.

ej6267

Yep, that was it. I thought it was funny to hear the hard drive spin up in the middle of the night without the screen coming on, I just thought it was performing the cron jobs.

ej6267

Not sure where to look for the local backups to delete.