My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PHA Lodges in the Great State of Texas

R

RJS

I had heard that there was a PH GL in Austin but wasn't sure if the person had meant to say Houston. Houston is where the recognized PH GL is right?

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I believe it's in Ft Worth

Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand lodge of Texas

Here's their page on the compact signing
New Page 2

As far as I can tell, some of the material I received in the ALL workbook contradict the current state of things - which means new masons are being instructed with a more backward view than where we are

"To complicate matters even further, a number of the Grand Lodges from
other states which are recognized by us, have begun to recognize many of the Prince Hall Grand Lodges in one form or another. In some states they may visit each other. In other states they exchange degree teams. It is our
understanding that this recognition has taken place in over 20 Grand Lodges
in the United States and Canada. However, the Grand Lodge of Texas holds
allegiance to no other Grand Lodge and does not share geographic or
territorial jurisdiction with other Grand Lodges
. This is the sole reason for
our not recognizing other Grand Lodges in the State of Texas."

That bolded sentence contradicts the page on the compact

Last edited:

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
I believe it's in Ft Worth

Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand lodge of Texas

Here's their page on the compact signing
New Page 2

As far as I can tell, some of the material I received in the ALL workbook contradict the current state of things - which means new masons are being instructed with a more backward view than where we are

"To complicate matters even further, a number of the Grand Lodges from
other states which are recognized by us, have begun to recognize many of the Prince Hall Grand Lodges in one form or another. In some states they may visit each other. In other states they exchange degree teams. It is our
understanding that this recognition has taken place in over 20 Grand Lodges
in the United States and Canada. However, the Grand Lodge of Texas holds
allegiance to no other Grand Lodge and does not share geographic or
territorial jurisdiction with other Grand Lodges
. This is the sole reason for
our not recognizing other Grand Lodges in the State of Texas."

That bolded sentence contradicts the page on the compact
Quite the opposite my brother. two years ago, the Grand Lodge of Texas, voted to recognize the PHGL, We are allowed to converse and talk masonry with a PH Mason, BUT we do not have visitation rights at the present time. I am certain that as time goes by, this will change as well. It is to be remembered that not all PHGL Masons are members of the accepted PHGL however.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Quite the opposite my brother. two years ago, the Grand Lodge of Texas, voted to recognize the PHGL, We are allowed to converse and talk masonry with a PH Mason, BUT we do not have visitation rights at the present time.

I'm including these questions in my response to the survey on the A.L.L. book. I investigated the status before I joined and wouldn't have joined if there hadn't been some progress in relations. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't aware of the current status (maybe I'm not) and repeat back the status of many years ago.

And educating new masons two years after the fact on the wrong status encourages a culture and set of expectations that leaves us behind over time.

At a reunion over the weekend, one Brother referred to Prince Hall as clandestine and nobody in the room of 35+ seemed to think otherwise. My understanding that if they are recognized - they are regular and not clandestine.

Although, a lot of people seem to have "prince hall friends," and I wonder how many of those are irregular and therefore feeding the idea they aren't recognized back into the rest of the masonic community.

I am certain that as time goes by, this will change as well. It is to be remembered that not all PHGL Masons are members of the accepted PHGL however.

Yeah, there's quite a few Prince Hall lodges in our downtown area and none of them seem regular.

Does anyone know the best way to get the exact resolution on Prince Hall to read the wording? Should my lodge have a copy from every year?

Wingnut

Premium Member
It should be in the proceedings for the year recognition was granted at the Grand Lodge Communication, which was Dec 2006. Our lodge doesnt have the recent proceedings so I cant verify for sure...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
GL's been notified that the ALL program is outdated & needs updating. They don't seem to regard it as a priority, however. I know they have a lot to do up there, though.

Wingnut

Premium Member
GL's been notified that the ALL program is outdated & needs updating. They don't seem to regard it as a priority, however. I know they have a lot to do up there, though.

LOL yea I pointed that out before when I did the ALL a couple of years back.

Wingnut

Premium Member
and yet its "mandatory" for it to be completed... I wonder if this is the reason its NOT done as often as it should be?