My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rosicrucians and Masonry

legorix

As a separate order, membership in the AMORC is a separate decision.

I suggest an answer to the opposite question - Should Masons avoid joining AMORC? To me the answer is no. There's no conflict that I know of when it comes to what outsiders can learn of the AMORC lessons. The AMORC is a lot smaller than Masonry but there are percentage of AMORC members who are brothers. Some Masons have decided to become AMORC members and are happy with their membership. But the focus of their lessons seems to be different enough that some Masons would not want to join for reasons not directly related to Masonry.

But the positive question - Should Masons consider joining the AMORC? There's a lot to Masonry that is not related to Rosicrucian topics so I don't think it's automatic that a brother would want to consider it. There are reasons one individual might not want to join, as with nfasson's objection to New Age ideas that appear core to AMORC (from my perspective as a non-member who has read some of their books). There are reasons one individual might want to join, if Rosicrucian topics keep coming up in your life.

In San Antonio there is an AMORC group that hosts monthly open events. I've been to a few of them but for the moment I have not decided to join. I'm too busy with family, work, lodge and church activities to fit in another fraternal order. It's the same line of reasoning why I have no joined an American Legion lodge as well. I know what happens when I join a new order - my signature does list the 3 years I've been in the east.

legorix

As a separate order, membership in the AMORC is a separate decision.

I suggest an answer to the opposite question - Should Masons avoid joining AMORC? To me the answer is no. There's no conflict that I know of when it comes to what outsiders can learn of the AMORC lessons. The AMORC is a lot smaller than Masonry but there are percentage of AMORC members who are brothers. Some Masons have decided to become AMORC members and are happy with their membership. But the focus of their lessons seems to be different enough that some Masons would not want to join for reasons not directly related to Masonry.

But the positive question - Should Masons consider joining the AMORC? There's a lot to Masonry that is not related to Rosicrucian topics so I don't think it's automatic that a brother would want to consider it. There are reasons one individual might not want to join, as with nfasson's objection to New Age ideas that appear core to AMORC (from my perspective as a non-member who has read some of their books). There are reasons one individual might want to join, if Rosicrucian topics keep coming up in your life.

In San Antonio there is an AMORC group that hosts monthly open events. I've been to a few of them but for the moment I have not decided to join. I'm too busy with family, work, lodge and church activities to fit in another fraternal order. It's the same line of reasoning why I have no joined an American Legion lodge as well. I know what happens when I join a new order - my signature does list the 3 years I've been in the east.

legorix

Hi Brother,

I like the perspective you provide on the question whether a Mason should consider joining AMORC or not. Personally speaking I did it the other way around. I joined Amorc in 1995 and then Masonry in 2006. I then proceeded to join The Scottish Rite in 2008. I am quite active in all three groups.
I definitely enjoy being a member of all three. They all compliment each other very much. With Amorc you can study the lessons in the privacy of your own home. You are not required to go to a Lodge (although it is advisable as Rosicrucian Ritual is quite profound) The only time that you are required to go to Lodge is when you are ready to receive your temple degree initiations. Rest assured that the home lessons are quite enlightening and will provide much food for thought. They delve into so many interesting topics. I once heard a brother (who is both a Mason and a Rosicrucian) describe Freemasonry and AMORC as being Universities of life. I think that's a very accurate description.

I find that Masonic Ritual (Blue Lodge) is just so meaningful in so many ways. It conveys so many messages. It puts you face to face with your inner self. The Scottish Rite does the same thing. Its beautiful rituals give you such diversified perspectives on so many topics. It all goes back to that profound Greek aphorism which stood at the entrance of a temple in Delphi which said "Know Thyself."
Most initiatory systems provide the groundwork and tools for their initiates to do just that.

Sincerely and Fraternal ly,

Legorix

hanzosbm

Premium Member
It might also help to look into what one considers Rosicrucianism. It started off with an anonymous manifesto claiming to go back to the middle ages with the founder living to over 100 years old. Over the years, more and more texts came out, organizations sprung up, and "members" appeared. The question of course is that given the hunger for all things mystic during the time, how much of this was actual lineage and how much was just people declaring themselves to be part of the organization. In fact, was there ever REALLY an organization to begin with or was it all a hoax? Hard to say. And with that, you get people all over the place claiming different things about the group, so it comes back to the question of what one really considers Rosicrucianism to be.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
It might also help to look into what one considers Rosicrucianism. It started off with an anonymous manifesto claiming to go back to the middle ages with the founder living to over 100 years old. Over the years, more and more texts came out, organizations sprung up, and "members" appeared. The question of course is that given the hunger for all things mystic during the time, how much of this was actual lineage and how much was just people declaring themselves to be part of the organization. In fact, was there ever REALLY an organization to begin with or was it all a hoax? Hard to say. And with that, you get people all over the place claiming different things about the group, so it comes back to the question of what one really considers Rosicrucianism to be.
Sounds like the "lineage" of a fraternity we're all familiar with. ;)