My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separation of Church and State

Bloke

Premium Member
The landmark is against discussion of partisan politics, not against discussion of political principles..

We just prohibit the discussion of "every topic of religious and political discussion " and make no distinction between politics and partisan politics in our ritual and rules. Do you ? I think you're talking about practice and precedent rather than a firm and specific "landmark" ?

dfreybur

Premium Member
We just prohibit the discussion of "every topic of religious and political discussion " and make no distinction between politics and partisan politics in our ritual and rules. Do you ? I think you're talking about practice and precedent rather than a firm and specific "landmark" ?

The landmarks are claimed to be unwritten, though many jurisdictions have written lists. It's one of our usual conundrums and contradictions.

As usual with a landmark the boundaries are nebulous and informal. It it politics or partisan politics, religion or sectarian religion? I can't offer an answer more specific than "yes, and each of us decides the boundary".

Scoops

The landmarks are claimed to be unwritten, though many jurisdictions have written lists. It's one of our usual conundrums and contradictions.

As usual with a landmark the boundaries are nebulous and informal. It it politics or partisan politics, religion or sectarian religion? I can't offer an answer more specific than "yes, and each of us decides the boundary".
In Emulation we are charged specifically with "abstaining from every topic of political or religious discussion" during our initiation.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk