My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short form or long form?

Overworked724

Me too....over and over and over and over...and over...and over and over and over....LOL I am horrible at memorization, but once it is there, it's there to stay.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Short form or one day class... Why even bother?
IMHO it means nothing when given to you.

Yes my Brother, as I would agree with you. However, there are those who like the ideology of the ready made Mason.

It seems this is yet another warmly debated topic of discussion.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I can not agree Brother. We do a two or three day reunion of the AASR when we bring in new members (I was one of these) and we are very loyal members. I will be helping in my fourth reunion as a member in 7 days.

dfreybur

Premium Member
IMHO it means nothing when given to you.

Because now that I've been through my own degrees, degrees are now about the candidate not about me. It's a very hard lesson to learn.

The fact that it means less to you is not relevant. It's not about you just like it's not about me.

I am gratified with the trend preferring individual degrees, but those degrees are not about me just like they are not about you.

The only objective way to judge is attendance and chances of going through the line. The studies on that are done by Brothers determined to reach specific conclusions one way or the other. The studies fail to prove those conclusions. It's an important result.

So far I've only seen one set of studies that gives a consistent answer. Illinois conducts "blue lightning" degree events. All of the candidates at least got their first degree individually at lodge. The events do second and third in groups rather like the way Scottish Rite degrees are conferred. Again and again the statistics keep coming out that Brothers who go through blue lightning events are more likely to go through the line. The studies keep getting done because so few believe the result. I have no idea why this happens. I do understand why people don't believe it - Your post shows that.

LK600

Premium Member
The studies keep getting done because so few believe the result. I have no idea why this happens.

Could it be that their ability to participate in the Lodge quicker reinforces the feeling of belonging while others who wait 6 months to a year to be allowed to participate in most things find themselves more jaded? I have no idea... just a thought.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Could it be that their ability to participate in the Lodge quicker reinforces the feeling of belonging while others who wait 6 months to a year to be allowed to participate in most things find themselves more jaded? I have no idea... just a thought.
Your thought makes a lot of sense Brother.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
I do understand why people don't believe it - Your post shows that.

Like I said.... In My Honest Opinion.

I know it's all about the one taking the degree, I just wouldn't feel right participating in a degree that I know is a short cut.
That to me would be a dis-service to the candidate.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Long form or short form are relative for each grand lodge. If the option even exist. What one grand lodge might consider long and the "right" way might be short to another grand lodge. Learning a string of questions and answers, for most Masons I've seen, teaches them nothing but how to mimic sound. You can find different examples of different advancement requirements across the globe. You can also find various ways to deliver the degrees throughout our history.

I was raised in Alabama. The only option for degrees is one at a time with one candidate at a time. You then must turn in an EA and FC Q&A. The MM is optional. None of this is written down. Then if you want to be active you must learn the ritual. Again nothing is written down. Within a year I easily able to travel and assist with various parts in each of the three degrees.

But there is a problem with focusing on just learning words and only mimicking sound. The problem is you can be replaced with Duncan. If the only thing transmitted are the words then a book is just better at it than we are. What is better is understanding of the words. Not just know them but knowing what they mean.

I remember hearing a story one time about this man who truly believed what our craft teaches. He was willing to follow those teachings his entire life. Tragedy his life was cut short by someone who wanted to know words without know what those words meant. I fear the spirit of those people just wanting to know words are responsible for the fate of our craft now. The words are they important, yes. But the meaning that is worth dying for.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Because now that I've been through my own degrees, degrees are now about the candidate not about me. It's a very hard lesson to learn.

The fact that it means less to you is not relevant. It's not about you just like it's not about me.

I am gratified with the trend preferring individual degrees, but those degrees are not about me just like they are not about you.

The only objective way to judge is attendance and chances of going through the line. The studies on that are done by Brothers determined to reach specific conclusions one way or the other. The studies fail to prove those conclusions. It's an important result.

So far I've only seen one set of studies that gives a consistent answer. Illinois conducts "blue lightning" degree events. All of the candidates at least got their first degree individually at lodge. The events do second and third in groups rather like the way Scottish Rite degrees are conferred. Again and again the statistics keep coming out that Brothers who go through blue lightning events are more likely to go through the line. The studies keep getting done because so few believe the result. I have no idea why this happens. I do understand why people don't believe it - Your post shows that.

I could be completely off base, but the IL results make sense to me. I have always believed the EA degree is the most important degree in all of Freemasonry. I believe every teaching in the FC and MM degree are contained within the EA degree. I would love to see those studies!

jermy Bell

Freemasonry is getting hacked left and right.
Short form...one day classes...opening each stated meeting on the first degree...etc

To me it is indicative that GL wants to hurry everybody through the degrees to get the candidates to pay dues ASAP assuring revenue streams.

My Freemasonry
As much as I love long boring business meetings, my home lodge opens and closes on the 1,2,3. It' fine to a point, but when you have a ton to get through besides paying bills, this can be a pain. If you have an EA, open on the 1st. If all a MM, open and close on that and move along.