My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise!! You're elected to S.D.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
Just got back from a lodge meeting and at the meeting I was shocked to be nominated for the S.D. Chair.

This is my first chair so I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Has anyone else been surprised and elected to a chair?
Anyone have any advice?

What was your first chair?

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
I was initiated, passed, and raised this year. I was appointed to SS for the rest of the year and looking at doing JD next year. I was hoping to sit on the sidelines to learn, but I guess no better way to push myself to learn that to dive right in! Good luck and congrats!

MarkR

Premium Member
Deacons are elected in your jurisdiction? The only elected offices here are Master, Wardens, Secretary, and Treasurer. All the rest are appointed.

phulseapple

Premium Member
Just got back from a lodge meeting and at the meeting I was shocked to be nominated for the S.D. Chair.

This is my first chair so I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Has anyone else been surprised and elected to a chair?
Anyone have any advice?

When were you raised to the sublime degree?
My first chair was Sr. Steward and I have sat in each successive chair except one. We have Sr and Jr Master of Ceremonies which some jurisdictions do not. My progression was Sr. Steward-->Marshal-->Sr. Master of Ceremonies (I skipped Jr)-->Jr Deacon-->Sr Deacon-->Jr Warden.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
Deacons are elected in your jurisdiction? The only elected offices here are Master, Wardens, Secretary, and Treasurer. All the rest are appointed.

Illinois allows lodges to chose officers in addition to the big 5 be elected. One of my Illinois lodges chose to elect deacons as well. It's common in that jurisdiction.

California requires lodges to all use the same bylaws which are amended occasionally by vote of the delegates at GL. The last time I read them for my California lodge it listed the big 5 as elected all other chairs as appointed.

So this is something that varies by jurisdiction.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
My first chair was Sr. Steward and I have sat in each successive chair except one. We have Sr and Jr Master of Ceremonies which some jurisdictions do not. My progression was Sr. Steward-->Marshal-->Sr. Master of Ceremonies (I skipped Jr)-->Jr Deacon-->Sr Deacon-->Jr Warden.
Is marshal in the line in your jurisdiction?

In NJ it is not.

I sat as Marshal this year and will be going to SS since this year's Jr dropped out early.

We also have Jr and Sr Masters of Ceremonies.

Our lodge is lucky in the fact that we have to turn people away every year when it comes to getting in line.

crono782

Premium Member
My first chair was Master of Ceremonies. Here only the "big 5" (WM, SW, JW, Trs, Sec) are elected whereas the rest are appointed.

phulseapple

Premium Member
Is marshal in the line in your jurisdiction?

In NJ it is not.

I sat as Marshal this year and will be going to SS since this year's Jr dropped out early.

We also have Jr and Sr Masters of Ceremonies.

Our lodge is lucky in the fact that we have to turn people away every year when it comes to getting in line.

Yes, Marshal is considered part of the appointed line and was my second chair. We too have had the same luck of needing to turn guys away. Generally the only time a PM has to take a chair is as a fill in for a Warden. The big 5 are elected as are Trustees, 1 each for a 1, 2 and 3 year term.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
I was raised at the beginning of the year.

We don't have many people active in our lodge. Most of the time we need fill ins.

All of our positions are elected except the stewards. Which have never shown up.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
The Line in our lodge starts with the Junior Deacon, and both the deacons are elected positions. Secretary and Treasurer are elected as well, and the two masters of ceremonies, Tyler, Chaplain, and Director of Work are appointed positions.

phulseapple

Premium Member
I was raised at the beginning of the year.

We don't have many people active in our lodge. Most of the time we need fill ins.

All of our positions are elected except the stewards. Which have never shown up.
That is awesome brother. I do caution you though on taking on such a rigorous chair this quickly. It is a lot of fun, but also a lot of work too. That is something that can be easily overlooked. I am sure you will do well, just don't be shy about asking for assistance. Congratulations again.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I was raised this past August, will probably start through the line in the next couple of months and am looking forward to it.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Yes, Marshal is considered part of the appointed line and was my second chair. We too have had the same luck of needing to turn guys away. Generally the only time a PM has to take a chair is as a fill in for a Warden. The big 5 are elected as are Trustees, 1 each for a 1, 2 and 3 year term.

Pretty much the same minus Marshal being in the line.

WM, SW, JW, Sec, Treasurer, Trustee and Proxy to Grand Lodge are all elected.

We usually nominate the SD to be proxy since whomever is sitting in that chair is committed to going east and the fact that you cannot be elected to two positions at once.

Since that is the next in the chain of command, it is the logical choice.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor

Anyone have any advice?

If you're in Texas, get started on your LIFE program and plan on attending next year's Warden's Retreat. If you're not in Texas you still want to use you time as SD to prepare and qualify for advancement. Watch and listen to everything the JW says and does in his role. Ready, set, GO! And good luck!