My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Art of Rap

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Looks great! Directed by Ice T, rated 100% on RT...

[video=youtube;AhwBUydknWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhwBUydknWI[/video]

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
That's as absurd as "art" and "United States of America" in the same sentence! Ask any European in the early 19th century.

Benton

Premium Member
Personally, its not the form itself that bothers me. It's the subject matter. I do think that some rap would fall into the 'art' category, but a large majority of what actually sells records, I think, does not. Call me pretentious, but the common portrayal of drug usage, objectification of women, and a criminal way of life isn't art.

That said, I do understand that some rap, particularly early rap, was very political and socioeconomic in nature. Some still is. But when most then rap and rap culture, its not the decrying of our societal problems they're thinking of.

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
To anyone closed minded enough to bash hip hop based on the word alone:

I understand why some people suddenly become closed minded when they hear the word rap or hip-hop. The image of drugs, guns and violence come to mind. Don't hate on something or close your mind to something just because the music industry supports what sells best. My Brothers Hip hop comes in many different forms and is certainly an art, yes, I said it, an art. Gangster rap is not the only form of hip-hop. Listen to some blues beats from way back and tell me it isn't hip hop? Who wrote one of the first song that could be considered rap? Blondie when she wrote "Rapture". How about "Another one bites the dust" by Queen...here anything hippity hoppity in that track? If you have ever heard Spoken Word poetry, you will hear some of the deepest sociopolitical poetry out there. I am a Mason, I am a fan of hip hop, I am a fan of punk rock, I am a fan of reggae...I am not a fan of people simply basing judgement on an entire art form or culture simply due to their own limited experiences with a subject. Its not all about drugs and guns...sure that's what some make it out to be to make a buck, but that not inherent to hip hop, that goes with anything EVEN RELIGION SOMETIMES if you are really interested in what real hip hop is all about, turn off the radio and do some research....pick up a Roots album, or even a Blondie or Queen album...do your research on how Hip hop came about, politically and due to the need for expression and unity of a suppressed sub culture... then come back and pass your judgement with some education. All music is an art of expression, whether you agree with the content or not or whether you enjoy it or not doesn't make it invalid and to think so is just egotistical. In my humble opinion of course :) ...

Benton

Premium Member
Sure, I get that. It's all expression. And I did mention in my post that I'm well aware that some rap is about way more than the 'gangster' culture, particularly in its roots. Unfortunately, its the gangster rap that seems to be pervasive in the present era.

I listen to punk rock. In fact, I'm about to receive my Master of Arts in Music this fall. It's something of a profession for me. :)

However I would argue that just because all rap is a form of music doesn't mean all rap is art. I would argue the same thing about quite a few pop genres out there. I think it depends on how you define art. This, I definitely consent, is touchy, subjective, and there is no right answer, and everyone's individual boundaries of what is and is not art will be different.

All that said, of all my friends who listen to rap (all in the music world - its kind of a small community) none of them listen to it for the uplifting social message. In fact, I'd wager 95% don't listen to the words. And they all just listen to the mainstream popular gangster rap.

It's kind of ironic really, because there are the same people studying classical instruments, playing major works from historical repertoire. It's interesting how easily we can turn off our part of our mind and immediately go into 'listening autopilot.' Yet, I think those messages still seep in. Immersion and the subconscious and all that.

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
First of all congratulations on your upcoming Master of Arts degree. That's awesome and quite an accomplishment. My Brother I wasn't singling you out, my apologies if it came across that way. I do get what you are saying about the different genres and not all of songs that come from them being art, and you are right people will define art differently, and yes there are a lot of people out there that do not listen to the words of a song, but instead just listen to the beat, but I for one am a fan of listening to the lyrics of a song, it just adds to the respect (or lack of) that I get for the artist. I know the there are some artists from the Seattle scene like Macklemore and Blue Scholars that I enjoy listening to for their message, and also another artist named Talib Kwali, there are a lot of them that are not just spreading the gangster crap. I guess what bothers me is when people generalize, stereotype and pass judgement on a style of music because in my eyes, it sort of seems like they are also passing the same judgement on the people that listen to said style of music. Me, I love all kinds of music, from folk to classical from Rock to country, I can get down with just about anyone because I have learned to appreciate the differences in people, in culture, and in music. Again my Brother, congratulations again and thank you for your well written response!

Jimmy Shields

It's funny to read what everyone considers art. That debate has been going on for a long long time. I do get a little frustrated with a lot of hip hop talking about all the weed they smoke, how much money they have to throw at strippers. Mostly because it's what my teenage boys want to listen to. That being said I believe it's still art even if it's not the form of art I prefer

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
It's funny to read what everyone considers art. That debate has been going on for a long long time. I do get a little frustrated with a lot of hip hop talking about all the weed they smoke, how much money they have to throw at strippers. Mostly because it's what my teenage boys want to listen to. That being said I believe it's still art even if it's not the form of art I prefer

Agreed, I get frustrated with that too. It gives the rest of the artists a bad name for sure

Benton

Premium Member
I do agree that its unfortunate when people generalize and don't distinguish within a 'subheading', whether that subheading is rap, video games, novels, etc, etc. But people appreciate having a big wide target to hit, I think. :)

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
This shouldn't be a debate on whether rap is an art form, which I believe it is, but to solicit feedback from those who've actually seen the film. I often visit a website called rottentomoatoes.com which gathers virtually all movie reviews and provides a "Grade". Out of 10 movie critics from all backgrounds, every one gave it a thumbs up which equates to a score of 100%!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_art_of_rap/

To give you some perspective, Brave (Pixar film) just received 76%. Whether I agree or not with everything in the documentary is besides the point. As long as I'm provided a compelling story for 90 mins...I'm good to go ;)