My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Coffin

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
coffin.jpg

A new Worshipful Master in a small town spent the first four days making personal visits to each of the members, inviting them to come to his first Lodge meeting. The following Thursday the Lodge was all but empty. Accordingly, the Worshipful Master placed a notice in the local newspapers, stating that, because the Lodge was dead, it was everyone's duty to give it a decent Masonic burial. The funeral would be held the following Monday afternoon, the notice said.

Morbidly curious, a large crowd turned out for the "funeral." In front of the Altar, they saw a closed coffin, smothered in flowers. After the Chaplain delivered the eulogy, he opened the coffin and invited his Brethren to come forward and pay their final respects to their dead Lodge. Filled with curiosity as to what would represent the corpse of a "dead Lodge," all the Brethren eagerly lined up to look in the coffin. Each "mourner" peeped into the coffin then quickly turned away with a guilty, sheepish look. In the coffin, tilted at the correct angle, was a large mirror.

Remember the obligation we all took. Attend and support your Lodge.

Source: Author Unknown

Last edited:

widows son

Premium Member
That is one of my fears as a mason, the lodge I attend is small and only a quarter at most is young, but there actually has been a spike in applications in my area

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
Brother Bowden, that is an awesome story. It gives me a powerful idea for my lodge. I wish I knew the author so I could ask his permission to use his idea. Great post.
Roy Vance
San Angelo Lodge 570 Jr. Deacon
Phil Head Lodge 1415 Jr. Warden (Carlsbad, Tx)