My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Symbolism of Numbers in the Old Testament

D

Dion

While all your statements are valid for the number 8, the supposed meanings in the essay all attached to the numeral "8", which is not the number.

Agreed, as far as the Arabic (a misnomer) representation of "eight units" (8 or for that matter) is concerned. Would an 8-spoked wheel be more accurate a representation of what is being represented? An octagon? Or for that matter, a Maltese Cross? Does the vintage or the vernacular of a particular symbolical assignation determine proper depiction? After all, aren't symbols (letters and numerals qualify) essentially placeholders, substitutes as it were, representing "things" that are by their very nature, ineffable?

This isn't an attempt on my part to defend the essay. Nonetheless, it did prompt this discussion, and that made it worthwhile reading as far as I'm concerned.

This is all Dr. Zorba's fault.