My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The widows son.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Ever take that phrase and analyze it from a religious standpoint?

I know there is no solid link to the templars but it is interesting how they lost (or were abandoned by) the priests/pope of the catholic church when Clement ordered the templars to be dissolved. Were priests called "father," in that time period?

Could the phrase, "the widows son," signify that connection? I am a man without a father and I now travel seeking god in my own way?

mkmulin

Site Benefactor
That is an interesting correlation between the Templars and the phrase Widows Son. After contemplating it I realized how it applied to them; from my perspective. I, too, would like hear from other brothers.

Bro McMullen

Freemason Connect HD

JJones

Maybe I'm not very familiar with Catholicism but I'm unsure how 'widow' would apply to this? If you're implying that the Templars are the symbolic son of a widow? Who is the mother?

mkmulin

Site Benefactor
Maybe I'm not very familiar with Catholicism but I'm unsure how 'widow' would apply to this? If you're implying that the Templars are the symbolic son of a widow? Who is the mother?

I perceive the church symbolically as the mother.

Freemason Connect HD

Brother_Steve

Premium Member

I'm not suggesting they have a mother but more importantly lost a father ie the pope and their faith in the church as they knew it. In essence they became the son of a widow because their father as they knew it died on oct 13th.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Freemason Connect HD mobile app

JJones

Well it's definitely interesting, assuming one believes the Templar/Mason connection. I wonder if there is anything else like that that could be find if one examines the ritual from this perspective.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Ever take that phrase and analyze it from a religious standpoint?

Any good legend works has symbols and layers of meaning that work on many levels. Thank you for discussing at least one level of symbolic meaning as you see it.

I took it on a level close to the surface involving the degrees as ceremonies of adoption. When we are initiated, passed and raised we are adopted into a band of brothers. We have a mother lodge, but the friend who signed our petition is now a brother even if he was Dad or Grandpa before the degrees. Somehow we all become symbolically of the same generation no matter how separated in time. We are "on the level" in life symbolically as we all eventually become literally when we die.

I took it on another level as a lesson in what charity means, a combination of love and support. We swear to support the orphans of our passed brethren. We swear to support each other. Calling ourselves Widows' Sons combines those two into a symbolic unit.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
By the time of His active ministry, Christ was a widow's son, since St. Joseph had no doubt already died. Had St. Joseph been alive, Christ would not have assigned the Blessed Virgin to St. John the Divine's care.

Another perspective: Luke 7:11-35

widows son

Premium Member
From the webpage A Beacon of Masonic Light:

"The widow may symbolize a separation of the material world to that of the spiritual Father. The widows son, the Hiram of Masonic allegory, therefore, symbolizes our human physical nature bound to the mother (creation/material) after the symbolic 'Fall' of mankind. The Widow reference therefore symbolizes our lost connection to our Divine essence and origin.(1)"

http://beaconofmasoniclight.blogspot.ca/2007/10/who-is-widow.html?m=1