My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

time limit to learn FC profiency

E

eagle1966

after a FC has his degree conferred how long does he have to turn it in? what Article tells me this?

BEDickey

Premium Member
I know as an Entered Apprentice you generally have 1 year to "turn in your work for inspection" before you have to re-petition for your next Degree, how ever after that I am unsure.

chrmc

I've not heard of any, but haven't checked the articles. As the FC work is so close to the EA work it would surprise me if it would take longer than a couple of months or so for a brother to pick up the difference.

Brother Mark

I have looked it up in the grand lodge laws, and didn't find any time limit. I would assume it would be a year, but it won't take you that long to learn it.

Brother Mark

Title IV Chapter 2 Art 416
In case 12 months have elapsed after the petitioner has been elected before he presents himself for initiation: or 12 months or more the shall elapse after receiving the Enter Apprentice degree before the Fellowcraft degree is conferred and likewise between the Fellowcraft and Master's degree the previous election as to the degrees or the remaining degree become null and void. A new petition in writing shall be required and the procedure thereon, shall be regulated by the provisions of Art. 430

So my guess is you have 1 year to learn the EA and Fellowcraft memory work, with 90 days to learn the Masters

chrmc

Slightly off topic, but it is interesting to see how in the US there is a limit on the maximum time you can spend in a degree. Many other places around the world it is the other way around. I know for instance that a lot of European lodges would not confer more than one degree per year.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Many other places around the world it is the other way around. I know for instance that a lot of European lodges would not confer more than one degree per year.

That has more to do with the frequency of meetings than actual time constraints. If a lodge meets twice a year, than it is reasonable to say that the confer a degree a year.

S&F.
-Bro Vick

chrmc

That has more to do with the frequency of meetings than actual time constraints. If a lodge meets twice a year, than it is reasonable to say that the confer a degree a year.

S&F.
-Bro Vick

Is that the case? I was more under the impression that it was a case of "earning your dues" etc. than a pure practical case of number of meetings?

cjapgar

Premium Member
I am not 100% on this, but I've also heard that Australia requires 7 years between degrees? Does anyone know if this is true?

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Maybe the one year interval has to do with learning requirements, etc.? Meeting intervals have been intentionally set, maybe we should not confuse cause and effect. Think of the craftsman apprenticeship programs... VBG