My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transformation of the degrees over time

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Just to add something on to this, either to bring new life or just round things out for those who many come across it later...

I was doing some more research today and came across the Inigo Jones Manuscript (from either 1607 or 1655 depending on who you ask). From what I can tell, it has the first ever mention of HAB by name. Another interesting tidbit is in this version, it names his father, Urias the Israelite. It does mention his mother, the wid0w, a woman from Naphtali as well.

There is only one Urias in the Bible, and he is a Hittite, not an Israelite. However, if we're willing to be a bit flexible, there is an Uri, son of Hur from the house of Judah, and therefore an Israelite. There is no mention of a wife, but he does have a son; Bezaleel, who in Exodus 31 was given divine knowledge by God to be a craftsman to construct the original home for the arc. Sound familiar?

RiverRatDoc

Here's a 'possible' theory on HA.
( caveat: my speculation ).
I've run across this in older writings. HA was simply an allegorical character. In fact his name HIRAM appears at times as HIERAM as an acrostic in Latin in the old days
"Hic Jesus est resurgens a mortuis"
Today, a lot of brothers look for evidence he was real, one of the central 3 characters. He is an Archetype for us, & a character meant to instill a lesson.
Have fun

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
It may seem odd but Hiram is not a personal name. It is equivalent to Prince

Hiram I (Hebrew: חִירָם, "high-born" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_I

Hence we have various heros with the hr root: 2 Hirams, 2 Horus's, Hermes, Hercules
Hiram as a name means: My Brother is Exalted (Raised) (source: http://babynames.allparenting.com/list/Hebrew_Baby_Names/Hiram/details/)

It is however not a name as it applies to Classification; When used as a Classification, it is a title and one that is assigned to those who are Raised Brothers, deservedly or not.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
The term "Raised" does not appear in your link.
Yep, your statement is technically correct.

However, your statement reveals so much more. If you had simply invested yourself in more fruitful directions and did the work, you'd have quickly discoved that that:

1) your observation is quite pointless, and
2) embarrassingly telling of your true intent.​

So! Here, let me point out the obvious. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exalted

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Do you not find it odd using an English dictionary to explain Egyptian and Hebrew word roots?

Providing you with all the respect due your question, not as odd as having to deal with pointless questions where readers have to guess toward whom you're addressing them, but much less odd than having to deal with those individuals who assume that the words, used by 18th Century men to fabricate allegories that portray the created illusions of being around since time immemorial, have any significance other than the intent of carrying the meanings of those exact words as understood by those men of that time and not the actual meaning assigned to them by men of ancient times.

If you are not familiar with drawing assumptions that create superfluously bizarre conclusions, I refer you to Occam's Razor. Lofty (you know: Exalted) explanations often overly assume too much in their premises and therefore often rely upon major suspensions of disbelieve by their readers to hold these conclusions high enough above the rubbish mountain to be examined thoughtfully and thoroughly for what they truly are.

If it hasn't occurred to you already, this is an "English speaking forum". The use of English dictionaries to explain the meaning behind English words clearly conveyed using the English language is not odd at all. However, questioning their use? Yes forsooth. That is very odd.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
One other curious thing I found in this paper was the following: "While officially, the Grand Lodge of Kentucky uses a Webb-form ritual..."
I'll need to do some reading up on this. The Kentucky Monitor was written by Henry Pirtle. I'm curious to see the similarities of what he wrote and the Webb ritual.
A nice little piece of info about my Grand Lodge. Thanks.