My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyler's Oath

Plustax

I guess my question would be is why did the GLoT allow it to be sown on their website whether it's the right or wrong version? Sounds kind of hipocritical about not allowing it yet still showing it. JMHO

sands67

Premium Member
I am a relatively new Master Mason, but quick learner. I have never heard of the Tyler's Oath. It sounds like something that is extremely interesting. I will have to check with my Grand Lodge and see if they can shed some light for me.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I may have mentioned this in a previous post, but one time I was going to visit a Lodge in New Mexico and was told they required the Tyler's oath in addition to a current dues card. I called my buddy up and learned it within a few minutes. When I went to the Lodge, three Brethren pulled me aside and had me read the Tyler's oath. What? I told them I knew it by memory, and with a surprise on their face, I proceeded to communicate it to them. Ironically, the New Mexico version was slightly different but they were impressed that I took the time to prepare ahead of time. If you know your obligations, it doesn't take long to learn. It's not something I've been required to know at any other Lodge, which is why I was curious if our Prince Hall Brethren knew it.

KO2134, that is not the Tylers Oath and if it was, I would have to remove it from the site for obvious reasons.

rodney king

im a prince hall brother and i know the tilers oath by heart too. i was looking on the site for some history on it also.

Raymond Walters

Premium Member
This was very much the same for me the first few times that I visited Lodges in LA. Although the Tyler's Oath is very similar to that version taught us in TX, it still seemed odd placing my hand on the "good book" while doing it.

I think that it is important to point out that not only was I asked to recite the TO, I was also asked for the grip and word of a Master Mason... After I was fully vouched for, I learned that the Brother who examined me directly was the current GM of LA. I was pretty impressed!!!

What I didn't mention in my earlier comment is that while walking the sword, one gives step, due-guard, sign(s) and password(s) for each degree [EA-FC-MM]; and that [PHA jurisdictions that teach this] only a Master Mason is taught the Tyler's Oath and able to give it in such a manner.

This reason would preclude needing to be asked for anything [other than current dues card] as needed info would have been given during the process of "walking the sword".

Similiar to the "mouth to ear" requirement, learning to walk the sword is taught to an individual MM by one able to instruct him in how to properly do it or receive it from another, so I wouldn't do justice attempting to explain it in words.

What I have also noticed is that it isn't being taught, nor required as much as it previously was. This is another indicator of my status as a "dinosaur" and my age beginning to show and becoming visible to myself.