My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wasting Time or Noble Battle

bupton52

Premium Member
Why is there so much energy invested in the "fight" between clandestine masons and Prince Hall bretheren? There seems to be a constant battle about who is and who isn't legitimate. Do the brothers that hold membership with the GLoTX ever have these discussions with masons that you meet? To be even more clearer, it is the predominately black organizations in the state of Texas that have become such a problem. There are a growing number of instances where, for the purpose of clarification, white brothers have encountered a black man with either the symbol or regalia and automatically lump him into the Prince Hall category.Your thoughts and/or experiences?

Mac

Premium Member
I'll admit, I've never bumped into anyone at the store and asked them to verify their legitimacy. I wouldn't care really until they showed up for Lodge and we went through the usual ritual of checking a first-time visitor. If he asked me to discuss ritual or other topics meant to be kept between brothers, then I would have to check.

Is this issue prevalent in your area?

bupton52

Premium Member
I'll admit, I've never bumped into anyone at the store and asked them to verify their legitimacy. I wouldn't care really until they showed up for Lodge and we went through the usual ritual of checking a first-time visitor. If he asked me to discuss ritual or other topics meant to be kept between brothers, then I would have to check.

Oh Yeah!!!

bupton52

Premium Member

Many of the 20+ GLs that are located in the Houston and surrounding areas style themselves as Scottish Rite. They believe that as a Prince Hall mason, I have to "cross-over" to AFAM in order to get my Scottish Rite degrees. They believe that there is some sort of power in the letters AFAM and it is really starting to annoy me. Honestly, if I am out and about and see black men with masonic emblems, there is about a 90% chance that they are from a clandestine jurisdiction. It really sucks.

Mac

Premium Member
Wow, I had no idea. PHA has its own AASR, correct? Shouldn't the sales pitch of these clandestine men fall on deaf ears?

Edit: I looked it up, and PHA does have a unique AASR body, with Orients all over the world (including one in Texas). Is this simply a matter of educating new brothers to beware a spurious AFAM-AASR salesman?

Last edited:

bupton52

Premium Member
Wow, I had no idea. PHA has its own AASR, correct? Shouldn't the sales pitch of these clandestine men fall on deaf ears?

Edit: I looked it up, and PHA does have a unique AASR body, with Orients all over the world (including one in Texas). Is this simply a matter of educating new brothers to beware a spurious AFAM-AASR salesman?

That is exactly right. You would think it would be that easy. I am talking to a gentleman right now who is hung up on the recognition given to PH Grand Lodges by the UGLE back in '99 or so as the basis for his theory is that we are not legitimate. He doesn't understand that despite recognition or lack thereof, the Prince Hall organization has been regular since its inception. It keeps me sharp on the history, structure and other interesting tidbits about Prince Hall, but the opportunity to talk masonry with they myriads of "brothers" who wear the emblem that I wear lawfully is kind of disheartening.