My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you watch, read, and listen to for fun?

Wayfarer

I love horror -- Romero's zombie films like Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are among my favorites. Lately, I watched all of Supernatural up to season 6 in reruns and can't wait to get that -- I'm hooked. It's well-written, well-acted, and the themes are deep while, at the same time, it's hilarious.

Book-wise, I read constantly, usually non-fiction. The last really good book I read was an essay on Thomas Paine called Thomas Paine's The Rights of Man: A Biography by Christopher Hitchens -- for me, that was fun. :closedeyes: I'm working on Ernst Cassirer's The Philosophy of the Enlightenment, Bayle's Dictionary, and Jurgen Habermas' The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere (I'm on a kick studying Enlightenment thought).

But I also love humor -- at a used bookstore I just found the collected reprints of HUMBUG by Harvey Kutzman, Will Elder, Arnold Roth, Al Jaffee, and Jack Davis (most of the same gang that created the original MAD Magazine back in the 1950s). It was a humor/satire book in the '60s aimed at an older audience. I also located a few issues of HELP! by the same guys (plus John Cleese and Terry Gilliam who went on to form Monty Python), and they are wonderful. :laugh:

One book I re-read every year or two is Kipling's Stalky & Co. -- it's about a group of three boys growing up in an English boarding school, getting in adventures, constant trouble, and how their experiences caused each of them to grow into the adults they were: good, responsible men of the Empire. It's very funny and poignant. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Music-wise, I listen to various things, but I always come back to Neil Young. I just got the old re*ac*tor album and Decade, which are in my CD player all the time.

Well, that's enough. How about you?

Wayfarer

I haven't been fishin' since I moved to Texas. I'm not any good at it anyway, but that never stopped me before.

Buffalo Bill was an interesting fellow & a right snazzy dresser. I'm a fan of Annie Oakley: Now there was a gal.

Rescue51

Premium Member
My favorite shows are on History, Military Chanel, discovery and of course SPEED. I have read all of Dan Brown books. Most of my books are US History books or Military History. Now I'm in school for Aviation so I'm also reading a lot of Pubs and Manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
My favorite shows are on History, Military Chanel, discovery and of course SPEED. I have read all of Dan Brown books. Most of my books are US History books or Military History. Now I'm in school for Aviation so I'm also reading a lot of Pubs and Manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

Same here for me. Although I would add BBC America for Top Gear to that list. I am also doing aviation right now and I too have my head deep into FAR/AIM and others. I also read a lot of astronomy and physics related books. As far as movies go I am up for just about anything. The last movie I watched was one called "Touching the Void" which is a mountaineering one based on a book by the same title. If you ever want to read about one person's struggle for life this is a great one for that.