My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What where you like in your childhood?

mas2500

I'm in my teens and when I grow up I want to be like my Great Grandpa Ira, and be a Freemason. But I've read that you have to be very proper. Me I'm a rebel who doesn't do what everyone else does. I do what I'm told, but due to minor autism and ADHD.

I can be sporadic, filled with energy that usually gets me in trouble. Any thoughts?

Future mason from born from the past ones.

dfreybur

Premium Member
In my experience ADHD (with hyperfocus in my case) has not interfered with my Masonic activities. My time sense isn't all that good so I keep a hip calendar to tell me a few events per day and I wear a wrist watch to tell me what day of the week and month it is. It's good enough that I make lodge meetings. I channel the energy in a bunch of different ways trying to do good each burst. Right now I'm typing in this window as my attention cycles among several projects at work - One of my coping mechanisms.

As to being a rebel - That can range anywhere from defiant personality disorder to having a preference for gently pushing the boundaries. Where you are in that range is very much a matter of choice and maturity. Consider that only a tiny minority of men become Masons, not doing what others do. Yet we all work as a team at lodge, learning to get along even if you disagree. Then we all go our own way after the post-meeting social event, back out into the world without that different-together strangeness.

As to minor autism, I'm ignorant on that topic so can't address it.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I'm in my teens and when I grow up I want to be like my Great Grandpa Ira, and be a Freemason. But I've read that you have to be very proper. Me I'm a rebel who doesn't do what everyone else does. I do what I'm told, but due to minor autism and ADHD.

I can be sporadic, filled with energy that usually gets me in trouble. Any thoughts?

Future mason from born from the past ones.
What class is your autism and adhd and who diagnosed you? School/School recommended doctor?

James3

I'm also in my teen and I have A.D.D. I don't let that get in my way of what I have to do too become successful.

My Freemasonry HD Pro

dfreybur

Premium Member
I'm also in my teen and I have A.D.D. I don't let that get in my way of what I have to do too become successful.

ADHD is *different* not *worse*. Don't let the word "Disorder" at the end confuse you. Medicine calls so many things disorders you can expect any day to see journal articles on "Robust health disorder" called that because the majority doesn't have it.

So ponder this - There are ways to harness shorter attention span into an advantage. Find one and use it. Consider that Isaac Newton is thought to have Asperger's Syndrome. He sure harnessed that to an advantage!

I have ADHD with hyperfocus so I've had time to ponder it and find the advantages. To me the majority appears to have "focus deficit disorder". I can zoom my focus down to laser sharpness at a level most can't. It allows me to solve problems that most can't. There's a difference between hard work and intense work. Hard work - Here's a pick axe and a mountain. Use the mountain over there please. Intense work - Here's a problem the rest of the team has been frustrated with for weeks making no progress. Focus your laser on it and burn a hole int he problem please. If you're familiar with Einstein's work think of the photoelectric effect that he won his Nobel Prize for. You can aim a beam of red photons at a mix of chemicals and it never ignites. Send in one blue photon and boom you have your reaction. The majority are the red photons. The ADHD with hyperfocus folks are the blue photons. Our advantage is intense work instead of hard work.

I'm in IT. I'm an ace debugger. It's the laser focus and short term attention harnessed as an advantage.

What you're doing isn't working? Try something else. For years I worked on reducing my weaknesses. That's the road to mediocrity. Then I worked on increasing my strengths. That's the road to excellence.

James3

I'm starting to read this book, its called the power of positive thinking by borman vincent peale. What he explains to you in his book is simple amazing. He teaches you how to always stay positive and too keep a good mind set

My Freemasonry HD Pro

James3

Thank you for your advice dfreybur hopefuly in a few years I can become a mason and learn and collect all the light I possibly can.

My Freemasonry HD Pro