My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When did the "decline" start, and are we still in "decline"?

cemab4y

Premium Member
One idea I have proffered, is involving new Masons in the "life" of the lodge right away. Each new Mason should accept a "calling", that is some way to contribute "sweat equity" to the lodge, and to Masonry in general. Most men will be flattered, to learn that the lodge needs their participation as much as the lodge needs their dues.

chrmc

One idea I have proffered, is involving new Masons in the "life" of the lodge right away. Each new Mason should accept a "calling", that is some way to contribute "sweat equity" to the lodge, and to Masonry in general. Most men will be flattered, to learn that the lodge needs their participation as much as the lodge needs their dues.

I agree with that, but would almost rather say that instead of involving them, we should set expectations. It should be expected that you show up well dressed, that you work on your proficiency, that you join at least one committee and that you take part in the stated meetings. Far to often we let people slide, because we don't want to be to hard on them.
Younger people come to masonry seeking structure and light. Much of that will come by having them live up to something and better themselves. Engagement will come if you ask people to be engaged.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Wow Bryan that was some hard work bro nice paper.
Education is the cure if a cure is needed. To me we have wondered so far from creating an enviroment that promulgates our zeal for knowledge that most think we are a charity. The men coming to 148 are hungry for self improvement and Masonry should provide that venue and motivation to encourage men on the pursuit of knowledge. As much as I love a good pancake breakfast or helping out the comunity with charitiable acts this in my opinion is not why men are attracted to our fraternity and our micro-focus on charity to save us money is hurting us badly. Then again I am new to the craft and can only speak from my small experience in my own lodge.

Stallion

Hello, i'm from Lebanon; unfortunately I have no idea if there's a near lodge next to me.
I'll be thankful for every assistance delivered to me.

Mac

Premium Member

I agree wholeheartedly! During my year as master, I tried to get/keep my EAs and FCs as involved as possible. They made their progress in the degrees in due time while also taking ownership in "their" lodge.

Freemason Connect Mobile

cemab4y

Premium Member
Re: When did the "decline" start, and are we still

I have not found many men who would agree with my idea of involving masons in their lodge. I am flattered that you find the idea worthy. Have you been able to implement it?

Mac

Premium Member

My lodge saw our junior members helping with lodge maintenance, dinners and cleanup, and setting up our web presence. I feel that providing ownership opportunities like these is more effective than treating new members as second-class citizens until they've completed the arduous task associated with becoming a proficient Master Mason.

It's entirely possible to be active while working on the proficiency requirements.

Sent via mobile app (Freemason Connect HD)

Thulsa Doom

... I feel that providing ownership opportunities like these is more effective than treating new members as second-class citizens until they've completed the arduous task associated with becoming a proficient Master Mason.

It's entirely possible to be active while working on the proficiency requirements.

Well stated.