My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where I was cause to *** for the benefit of ***.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
This is probably a question either for the brothers who have travelled extensively or those that have done a fair bit of reading regarding the ritual in various jurisdictions.

In reading The Ceremony of Initiation by W.L. Wilmshurst, he discusses the part of the EA degree referenced in the subject. He talks about very specific language used during this portion and some of the meaning behind it. Yet, in the GLoKY, the ideas that he references don't seem to be there.

Since I'd rather people not speak about the particulars of the ritual, my question is more along the lines of how similar has the wording or the message been in this portion of the ritual from jurisdiction to jurisdiction?

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Wow, I had no idea that it was available online. I'm holding the paper copy in my hand at the moment.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Gentlemen,

Sorry, I'm not sure I was being clear. I wasn't so much curious about the wording I used in the subject line, but rather what is said afterward, over the candidate. W.L. Wilmshurst hints at some deeper meaning behind what is being said during this portion by either the WM, SD, or Chaplain depending on who is doing it. The thing is, the things he seems to be hinting at are completely absent from the GLKY ritual.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I learned the prayer for the candidate to become SD in California. In Illinois it is spoken by the CH with the two words reversed. In Texas it is spoken by the CH with a few words changed at the end. It's a beautiful part of the ritual and it's sad to hear it has been deleted in a version of the ritual.

Before we initiate we pray for the candidate asking for divine guidance and support. Before we raise the candidate he prays for himself. I like how these two complete each other.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Brother dreybur, thank you for your help on this, I think you'll be an excellent source on this discussion. Brother pointwithinacirlce2 was kind enough to give a link to the book I'm reading. Would you mind taking a look at it, specifically Part 1, section 2.

In KY, we have a prayer, but it doesn't have the aspects that WL Wilmshurst seems to be alluding to. I'm wondering if the prayer that you're familiar with does.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I learned the prayer for the candidate to become SD in California. In Texas it is spoken by the CH with a few words changed at the end.
Are you referring to the prayer given after the reception of the candidate into the Lodgeroom? If so, the Monitor clearly states "This prayer is mandatory, and shall be given by the Worshipful Master."

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Are you referring to the prayer given after the reception of the candidate into the Lodgeroom? If so, the Monitor clearly states "This prayer is mandatory, and shall be given by the Worshipful Master."
Maybe your monitor does. Mine does not.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Maybe your monitor does. Mine does not.

It does vary jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Bill and I are both Texas Masons referring the Texas ritual in this part of the thread. It is not uncommon for parts of the ritual to be spoken by a brother who knows it rather than the brother specified in the ritual. Not technically correct then. Got it. Thanks.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
No no, I completely understand, and I appreciate your input. I was just pointing out (and perhaps too brashly) that it does vary by jurisdiction, which is exactly why I wanted to get input from brothers in different areas.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Does it help to see the prayer itself?

"Vouchsafe Thine aid, Almighty Father and Supreme Governor of the Universe, to our present convention, and grant that this Candidate for Freemasonry may so dedicate and devote his life to Thy service as to become a true and faithful brother among us. Endue him with a competency of Thy divine wisdom, that, assisted by the secrets of our Masonic art, he may the better be enabled to unfold the beauties of true godliness, to the honour and glory of Thy Holy Name. "

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Does it help to see the prayer itself?

"Vouchsafe Thine aid, Almighty Father and Supreme Governor of the Universe, to our present convention, and grant that this Candidate for Freemasonry may so dedicate and devote his life to Thy service as to become a true and faithful brother among us. Endue him with a competency of Thy divine wisdom, that, assisted by the secrets of our Masonic art, he may the better be enabled to unfold the beauties of true godliness, to the honour and glory of Thy Holy Name. "
very very very close.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Very very close to both OR and NM. OR &NM are actually cliser to eachother then this but both have lines that are exactly as it is here but those lines arent the same lines in both and then both share lines and have their own differences.....lol