My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are you

jvarnell

Premium Member
I have been on forams of all types and everyone has a Avatar of something that they thinks discribes them. I have a Avatar that is my outerself and a name that is my name so anyone that meets me on the street will know who I am. Is there a fear of being persucuted for having stances we take on this foram the reason some don't put our picture on here? I put my self out there because when I say something it is how I feel and it will change from time to time but it is me and I want to know someone can meet me on the street and talk to be about what I have said without ever meeting me before.

I know I said "I" may times in that but I only really know myself and want your thoughts?

crono782

Premium Member
in all my years of being on various forums, i always use an avatar that is not my picture (it's almost always the same calvin picture, hah). i dunno, maybe it harkens back to when most BBs didn't let you upload your own and you had to choose a stock image they already had. my screen name is also one i've used for years. maybe i like my anonymity, who knows. i'm just set in my ways of forum behavior i guess.

jvarnell

Premium Member
in all my years of being on various forums, i always use an avatar that is not my picture (it's almost always the same calvin picture, hah). i dunno, maybe it harkens back to when most BBs didn't let you upload your own and you had to choose a stock image they already had. my screen name is also one i've used for years. maybe i like my anonymity, who knows. i'm just set in my ways of forum behavior i guess.

I don't want anyone to change I just was wondering why and I can see what you said. I did use another name and at that time a ASCII picture back on the FIDOnet.

ascii-skull-27.jpg

Last edited:

ThanatosTA

Premium Member
Too long on the interwebs for me. I have known too many people that can get what they want from the web, so I just want to make it that much harder for bad guys. I have also dealt with too many people that have been victims of identity theft (myself included) to be all that trusting of the web.

jvarnell

Premium Member
Too long on the interwebs for me. I have known too many people that can get what they want from the web, so I just want to make it that much harder for bad guys. I have also dealt with too many people that have been victims of identity theft (myself included) to be all that trusting of the web.

I say it has been a long time for me also on the arpernet ho ya Al gore changed it's name to the internet and called it his invintion. I just call it a Gov.privet to public convertion. But I know what you mean as I have said "we can only use cyber security to protect 90% and we have to dect the rest" anyone intent on getting your data will get it even if use an alies.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Is there a fear of being persucuted for having stances we take on this foram the reason some don't put our picture on here?

There are many countries where an individual does not make public the fact that they are a mason! And yes, there are some of us that took a pretty radical stance on issues that "certain" individuals would like to have thrown us out of the "good ole boys club". I shouldn't need to say more...

Traveling Man

Premium Member
That was the type of reply I thought I would get more of. that is the way I feel.

And I think that you were mistaken too...

You've never lost a job because your immediate manager found out that you were a Freemason.
You've never gone out on a limb to change this fraternity only find that the changes you suggest would stop your masonic career in its tracks.
You've never lived in a country where being a Freemason was your death warrant.
You've never been excoriated by a panel of interviewers because they claimed your fraternity was racist, and practiced discrimination.

I could go on and on, but it would be a waste of time. I'm glad you feel the way you do, but I suggest you may want to consider some discretion. You see it's only in the States where Freemasons wear hats, belt buckles, etc. Maybe someday you might find out why.

I am that I am too; but not foolish enough to realise there is a price to be paid for such na·ïve·té.

Last edited:

jvarnell

Premium Member
And I think that you were mistaken too...

You've never lost a job because your immediate manager found out that you were a Freemason.
You've never gone out on a limb to change this fraternity only find that the changes you suggest would stop your masonic career in its tracks.
You've never lived in a country where being a Freemason was your death warrant.
You've never been excoriated by a panel of interviewers because they claimed your fraternity was racist, and practiced discrimination.

I could go on and on, but it would be a waste of time. I'm glad you feel the way you do, but I suggest you may want to consider some discretion. You see it's only in the States where Freemasons wear hats, belt buckles, etc. Maybe someday you might find out why.

I am that I am too; but not foolish enough to realise there is a price to be paid for such na·ïve·té.

When I asked that I had been watching a documenttery about the placeing of the conner stone in DC by wachington. I started thinking about bing persucuted once in a work inviroment for being a Christian and standing up and telling them "I am a christion and proud of it". I started thnking about when I came out of the shadows of the internet I had been in and decided to change my monicor to just me (1999) which was very hard and wanted to see all of you brothers and feel I was meeting you. For some reason I feel a more kindred sprite with those of you with pictures.

Thank you for responding and I understand why some feel the way that y'all do.