Who confers your degrees?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by John Benefield, Jan 14, 2019.

1. The Traveling Man

The Traveling Man Registered User

In your Jurisdiction the JD conducts candidates? In my Jurisdiction that's the SD's job.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bill Lins likes this.
  2. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

In Emulation, the JD conducts the candidate during the first degree. The SD conducted him in the second and third.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

3. Mark Stockdale

Mark Stockdale Premium Member

it varies from lodge to lodge in Scotland, so far I haven't seen any 2 rituals the same, be that different office bearers doing different parts, and even the wording of each ritual. I think that's what makes visiting other lodges so interesting, as there is no set ritual here, the differences experienced whilst out and about open the mind to further learning.

Chaz likes this.
  4. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

In PA the WM "appoints" an experienced Brother to be the Guide for the candidate, He prepares him for the Degree and conducts him through the Degree. I saw the WM "appoints" him, and officially that is what effectively happens, but the JW prepares the Trestle Board and is really the one who decides who does what for Degree meetings.

5. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

This is how we "try" to do it in New Jersey even though it is not written. It is tough for a sitting master to do all three degrees. It also allows the Lodge to see how a Junior Warden will handle the pressure of a degree from the East.

6. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

In my Lodge the WM usually confers the degrees, but any MM can confer the degrees who wishes to (working on proficiency or the candidate's coach/mentor).

The degree teams are overseen by different officers though. The SD plans EA, the JW plans FC, and SW plans MM.

7. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Interesting.

The only way someone who has not been signed off at District School can confer a Degree here is with a dispensation granted by the DDGM, who has to know the Brother is capable. It would be a rare occurrence, as there is ample opportunity to exemplify the Degree Work and by signed off by a Senior Instructor.

8. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

Our DDGM is the one that signs off on a certificate, but if it is done in Lodge, they don't have to be present though or authorize someone to confer (that authority is vested with the WM). DDGMs are the personal rep of the MWGM, but have very limited powers in Idaho.

Share My Freemasonry