My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Masonry?

GKA

Premium Member
The most common question I have been asked since becoming a Freemason is why, and until today, that has been a difficult question to answer.
Today my wife and I went to lunch at a local greasy spoon which we frequent often, a young man came in looking lost and seemed to not know what to do, he was clean, well behaved and he had a gang tatoo on his neck, my radar went off and I watched him closely, then my wife asked me " do you think he's hungry?"
We both watched him a little longer and sure enough, he showed all the signs of being hungry and having no money, at that moment, my wife went over to him and asked "are you hungry? , he said no at first but then in a slightly embarrassed way said, "yes" so she went to the waitress and told her to let him order anything he wanted.
To make a long story short, he had just got out of jail and was trying to get back home.
After he had eaten, we gave him some train fare and went our seperate ways, he could not have been more thank full.
As we were leaving, I told my wife, "you make me look good" since it was her idea to help the young man out.
Upon reflection of that event, I realized why I had become a Freemason, it was painfully obvious to me that I needed to be around good people, their selfless acts keep me pointed in the right direction, just like my wife, I am a better person for knowing her and a better person for associating with great men.

Last edited:

BullDozer Harrell

Outstanding story and newly discovered self reasons why you became a Mason.

It touches me when i find a Brother who contemplates about his own actions especially after realizing how awkward your responses were when asked about what induced you to join Masonry.

I believe that this lack of self understanding and consequent ability to open up about making another serious adult decision is an ugly thing for our Craft.

If an individual can't figure out why he chose Masonry and why he sticks with it, then it'll be a 'tough sell' to persuade anybody with more than just a passing curiousity to join.

I wish my reasons came with a nice story. Truthfully I tell people that i became a Mason to get out of the house more. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I hadn't thought to seek it for a Holy Grail type journey. I was trapped between work and being a homebody. No social activities going on.

I noticed on occasions while slowly making my way home on nice evenings, some men hanging outside of a Temple bldg near my house. So on a brave day, I just had a feeling to stop and ask what was this Masonry thing? What's the deal?

A guy whom I found out later was the Worshipful Master of that Lodge just spread out his arms and made a sweeping gesture towards the other guys standing around. He said, Masonry is what I was seeing at that very moment. Of course i had to ask what the hell was that supposed to mean. He chuckled and said that Masonry was about the men and their good natured relationships towards each other.

I looked at the group and it's true, I did notice a band of Brothers. The guys did seem to be enjoying one another genuinely.

I was sold from that moment on. That was roughly 6-7 years ago.

Reactions: GKA

SCStrong

Great story ! Thank you, for helping that man........... I have to admit my story is very similar to Bro. Harrell's I have known many Masons over the years and I myself had become a bit of a workaholic and a homebody..... I finally got the gumption to ask one how did I become a Freemason...... It was only after I had become a Freemason, that I had any real idea of the quality of men I had surrounded myself with by knocking on that door. No regrets.

Reactions: GKA

BullDozer Harrell

At this point now i've heard about a gazillion times from just as many Brothers that our Masonry is a progressive moral science. So since some time has passed being a member in the organization, I believe it's more about asking myself why have I stuck with Masonry? Has Masonry given me some of its light? Has it in fact taught me about how to shape my stone?

I'd have to say yes it's been very instrumental in learning more about human relationships and getting along with each other in right relations. And I'm sure that many of my Brethren reading this can think of what i've just said in Masonic terms & phrases. We have our peculiar language which won't be brought out here too much in an open forum.

I'm still here because Masonry is still working for me, in me & through me.