My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widows Sons Motorcycle

E

eagle1966

Who was at GL in 2007 when the proposition to recognize the Texas Widows Sons Motorcycle Riders came up for discussion and passage and then the recall of proposition, where it was rejected?

E

eagle1966

what was your impression of what happened and have you had any contact with the Widows Sons

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
As you may know, there are 2 "Widow's Sons" clubs. One of them had asked GL for recognition & got it. They all left the GL to celebrate. During that time, a Brother checked out the website belonging to the other WS club, either accidentally or otherwise. He then moved for reconsideration and relayed what he had seen on the website to the Grand West. There being none of the WS Brethren present to defend themselves, the Grand West rescinded their approval.

The lesson here is: Don't assume that anything done at the Grand Communication is final until installation of the new Grand Master begins on Saturday. Up until then, anything done beforehand can be undone.

As to your second question, I have never had any contact with any member of either WS club.

Last edited:
E

eagle1966

I did not know that there are 2, could you tell me what the difference?

Wingnut

Premium Member
I think he is referring to the FreeMasons Riding Club which has no connection to the Widow's Sons other than we ride motorcycles and we may have a few 'cross members' around the country.

I wasn't there, but I believe the biggest bone of contention was the back patch and a few of their (Widow Sons) bylaws.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
No, I was not referring to the FMRC. There was (mebbe still is) 2 different clubs called "Widow's Sons" or something very close. One of them has a "patch" which some Brethren found offensive & unMasonic. I know nothing about either group and have not seen the "patch".

Wingnut

Premium Member
Interesting, I was under the impression from last years proceedings that the FMRC and Widows Sons were voted on and the WS were then revoked after lunch. FMRC was voted in and is still recognized. Those were the only 2 I recall seeing.

The WS have 2 very different patches, one depicts a woman wearing a one piece body suit squatting down (http://www.clydelodge.org/html/widows_sons.html has a picture, the WS website seems to be down)... There is another patch that some chapters in other regions wear that depicts a triangle with wings and some of the working tool and an all seeing eye that I thought was a pretty nice patch.

There was also an issue with this part of their bylaws "The association is open to Masons who ride a motorcycle of 500 c.c. or larger and are in good standing in the records of their blue lodge (AF&AM or F&AM). There are also provisions for associate membership for non-Masons and Masons who do not ride." There was a misconception that this would allow someone like a Hells Angel member to join the WS. I say misconception because no 1%er would give up their cuts to become a WS. And no 1% MC will allow dual memberships.