My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

:/

Spiro D'Estini

How does that go for you? I work for a Mason- he actually recommended me initially- nothing has changed at all. It's a little disappointing to me. Anyone deal with this also?

MarkR

Premium Member
I'd actually be relieved that nothing had changed. I hope you didn't think that becoming a Mason would get you favored status at work. I don't know about your jurisdiction, but in mine those kind of expectations are addressed in the interrogatories before the first degree.

Spiro D'Estini

What do you believe should have changed?

well he calls me "kid" still even though I am in my 40s and have a marriage that is older than some of his children, and I thought he would treat me like a mason who is his employee, not a serf that he commands.

I understand chain-of-command and hierarchy and all, this is part of my character and consistent with Freemasonry even, and was not expecting like, promotions and raises and shit. Just, to be regarded as a man who incidentally is subject to his leadership.

edit: Also, a lot of the customers are Masons, and I see him doing grips all day, and he never introduces me.

also am I not supposed to gently reproach his unworthy flaws or whatever? Nudge him toward proper masonic light? Because I still cannot complete a sentence when addressing him before he bullies into some commander bullshit.

Last edited:

Spiro D'Estini

I'd actually be relieved that nothing had changed. I hope you didn't think that becoming a Mason would get you favored status at work. I don't know about your jurisdiction, but in mine those kind of expectations are addressed in the interrogatories before the first degree.

I addressed this in directly replying to the post just before yours- "favored" is a strong word but, have you never worked with your brothers before? Real blood-brothers, same parents like? You can't just treat the job as an extension of your family or whatever because you are working, but he is still your brother, and you are at least, polite or whatever. Listen when they speak for example.

Winter

Premium Member
Freemasons are still human with all our flaws and foibles. Have you tried talking to him about your dissatisfaction with your current situation?

Spiro D'Estini

Freemasons are still human with all our flaws and foibles. Have you tried talking to him about your dissatisfaction with your current situation?

haha of course not- like I said, I most often cannot even finish a sentence when addressing him before he gruffly interrupts with his next posturing. Most of the time I write it off as, "he is performing for the men," because he runs a very successful and large enterprise in a testosterone-dripping industry with some rough fellas. If it's only us around and he does it, I just think, "well he has a lot in his mind right now and is pressed for time," and write it off as well.

haha short version, he does not seem amenable to correction or even the suggestion that he is somehow not always exactly perfectly correct, and as a working poor American with no safeguards whatsoever, always one week of labor away from homelessness- of course I say nothing!

-
that being said, this is why I say, "a little disappointing." Of course I still love him and I understand, I just think that it is better for him to maybe examine some of these tendencies. Ultimately I don't give a fuck about what any man has to say or think about me in any way.

Elexir

well he calls me "kid" still even though I am in my 40s and have a marriage that is older than some of his children, and I thought he would treat me like a mason who is his employee, not a serf that he commands.

I understand chain-of-command and hierarchy and all, this is part of my character and consistent with Freemasonry even, and was not expecting like, promotions and raises and shit. Just, to be regarded as a man who incidentally is subject to his leadership.

edit: Also, a lot of the customers are Masons, and I see him doing grips all day, and he never introduces me.

also am I not supposed to gently reproach his unworthy flaws or whatever? Nudge him toward proper masonic light? Because I still cannot complete a sentence when addressing him before he bullies into some commander bullshit.

Is he older than you? I sort of behave like that toward people who are a 6-10 years younger than me and it's not to bully it's sort of just the culture in some compaines.
I honestly don't like the mindset of "Nudge him toward proper masonic light". Its just reeks of "I know what masonry is better than you. Freemasonry is a personal journey.
Heres the thing. Your employer don't have to introduce you to anyone. When you are working your boss is not your freind and he should just see you as an employee not even as an "employee who is a mason" and should treat you like anyone else/how he did before you became a mason.

haha of course not- like I said, I most often cannot even finish a sentence when addressing him before he gruffly interrupts with his next posturing. Most of the time I write it off as, "he is performing for the men," because he runs a very successful and large enterprise in a testosterone-dripping industry with some rough fellas. If it's only us around and he does it, I just think, "well he has a lot in his mind right now and is pressed for time," and write it off as well.

haha short version, he does not seem amenable to correction or even the suggestion that he is somehow not always exactly perfectly correct, and as a working poor American with no safeguards whatsoever, always one week of labor away from homelessness- of course I say nothing!

-
that being said, this is why I say, "a little disappointing." Of course I still love him and I understand, I just think that it is better for him to maybe examine some of these tendencies. Ultimately I don't give a fuck about what any man has to say or think about me in any way.

Spiro D'Estini

Is he older than you? I sort of behave like that toward people who are a 6-10 years younger than me and it's not to bully it's sort of just the culture in some compaines.
I honestly don't like the mindset of "Nudge him toward proper masonic light". Its just reeks of "I know what masonry is better than you. Freemasonry is a personal journey.
Heres the thing. Your employer don't have to introduce you to anyone. When you are working your boss is not your freind and he should just see you as an employee not even as an "employee who is a mason" and should treat you like anyone else/how he did before you became a mason.

It's not that kind of company though, the "cool kids" or whatever DO hang out and meet people and gladhand and talk sports and such, if i is not busy.

I was trying to be vague about the specific wording of rebuking a brother, with the nudge comment. I have commented in other threads, there is no reason to believe that this is anything except a totally open forum.

Bloke

Premium Member
That has a ring of like, ad campaign to me....obviously I am a Mason outside of a tiled and open Lodge so it must not be true.
Sorry you look at it that way. No problem, it was just a quick comment and response to a quick orignal post.

I have worked for my father and with my brother (both not masons). Did it for about over 15 years.
My current boss is a Freemason. I've worked with Freemasons as bosses for 6 years in total during me working life.

We delineated between the family and company.
We delineate between Lodge and work.

That said, in both the above there was respect. Your OP did not talk about a lack of respect, but lack of change.

If this man proposed you, and assuming he values that as a Freemason should be, he obviously thinks highly enough to recommend you. That says something about how he thinks and feels of you, even if his actions are not always to your taste. Might be his leadership style, and from what you say about the industry (construction) it might be a leadership sytle he thinks is serves him well. Indeed you say you love him.

That said, I still think work is work and lodge is lodge. And it does not matter to me if you are a Freemason or not, there still should be respect between people. (If he calls you "kid" it might be an indication of affection not intended as a lack of respect)

Adrian L. Green

I work in a high school and I recommended my principal for my Lodge. He was raised last year and so far it's been great. He doesn't flex on me in the Lodge and I don't flex on him at work.

Keith C

"Freemason as a Boss" makes me think of Harry Truman, President of the United States and at that time Past Grand Master of Masons of Missouri. He attended Lodge in DC as President and the Worshipful Master of that Lodge was the White House Gardener.

By all accounts Truman treated the Gardener with respect in any interaction at the White House and recognized his authority in Lodge.

A Mason SHOULD treat everyone with respect in or out of the Lodge, but Masons are falible men first and then Masons. Perhaps the individual described has always been this way, in which case either the West Gate was not adequatly guarded or the lessons of Freemasonry were not understood.

In any case, I would not expect being made a Mason to change how a boss who was already a Mason acts and treats someone.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
"Freemason as a Boss" makes me think of Harry Truman, President of the United States and at that time Past Grand Master of Masons of Missouri. He attended Lodge in DC as President and the Worshipful Master of that Lodge was the White House Gardener.

By all accounts Truman treated the Gardener with respect in any interaction at the White House and recognized his authority in Lodge.

A Mason SHOULD treat everyone with respect in or out of the Lodge, but Masons are falible men first and then Masons. Perhaps the individual described has always been this way, in which case either the West Gate was not adequatly guarded or the lessons of Freemasonry were not understood.

In any case, I would not expect being made a Mason to change how a boss who was already a Mason acts and treats someone.
Another version

Spiro D'Estini

I am now trying to find out what it means to guard the West and wonder, against what or whom. Seems like if there is an entire theravada buddhist sort of personal system at work, that it would not be written down. Alas, no one has said those words irl in my presence.

incidentally I am sure that he was always that way, and it is why I love him and what I love about him- no impulse to apologize. I am super into Nietzsche and have father issues or something haha