My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

911 Words About 'Obama's Mosque

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
I think I'd be careful throwing around labels. While my opinion isn't heated, and I do support the right of individuals to build their Mosque/Community Center at the propose site, I understand while 9/11 family members might be upset over the issue. I don't really care one way or another whether or not it gets built, but I can certainly be sympathetic. If my father/wife etc had died in the attacks, I don't know, my opinion my be stronger.

I just think it's fair to try and consider all angles, no matter how foreign they might be to us, ourselves.

Btw, I consider myself a strong libertarian, and am always for more rights and freedoms.

EDIT: Yes, there are fringe elements who would block the building of the Mosque entirely. But I think its important to remember they are just that, fringe, and often times only get coverage because they shout the loudest so to speak. They don't speak for the majority of Americans, who are moderate, fair, good people.

I would hardly describe Newt Gingrich as a "fringe element." The Bush family and other prominent politicians (including Newt) proudly declared themselves Neoconservatives, or as they put it "new conservatives." We've since attached a bit of negative connotation to it, but it's because of what this "new conservatism" brings with it.

This is the deal here: muslims died when that tower fell. How do the Muslim families that lost members feel about this? Jewish people, Baha'i World Religion folks died too.

Check this map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=churc...0.71124,-74.010022&spn=0.005994,0.013937&z=17

churches of all faiths have been springing up around the WTC area. To declare it okay for one religion and not another is terrible.

Now, if people were trying to build a terrorist training camp or preaching Islamofacism down at the WTC area, I would understand why that would be insensitive. Building a mosque is not insensitive at all unless they just want to get worked up again.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Personally, I think it's a mistake to build a mosque in that location to promote good faith and cultural diversity. I don't think the people are ready for it, and judging by most polls showing at best 50% supporting it, it won't be sending the message that they are hoping. I believe instead it will become a lightning rod and end up turning into the very thing it is trying to show the world it is not. Yes they have the right to build it there, but with so large a group opposing the building of it, I think to build it as is will work counter to their goals. It kind of goes with advice my great uncle used to give, he was a Baptist Preacher. But he used to always tell newer preachers, never start a building project unless you have the full support of all the Church Deacons, otherwise you will cause a rift and split your church. And to me this can be applied here in that without much larger percentage of the people supporting it, they will cause a split in the community if they force it

Now, again in my opinion, if they really want to send a message of cultural diversity and promote good faith, why not make a multi-faith community center. I know some will think why should Muslims have to make a compromise like this when other religions don't, but the key to this is they are trying to break the sterotype that has been hung on their whole religion because of a few extremists have twisted it for their own ends. But because of those individuals, it will take time to work past the sterotype. So I would think one of the best things for them to do is to reach out to the other major religions and have them be a part of an inter-faith center. It could be a beacon to show the world that we can all exist together and that Muslims want to work with everyone.

I wish the man behind it luck, because from what I know of his intent is to break the sterotype connected to his faith. But he is unfairly saddled with the opinions created by others. All you have to do is look at Masonry, and over 100 years later, we are still dealing with things like Taxil and the Morgan Affair.

Jamesb

I would not have a problem with a mosque, if more Muslims would show the rest of the world that the 1% are going against the faith. So far a handful have spoken up about 9/11, suicide bombers etc... but the uprising if a quiran is "molested". We need to see more up-rising and protests when Hamas launches the next wave of attacks, or a bomber walks into a group of school children or women. That just an opinion of where the muslims are off track. Of course in the same breath, no Christians protest the bombing of a clinic by "Christians" either.

owls84

Premium Member
In comparison you have 79% that believe he is Christian, Don't Know, or Don't Care. I personally would like to see more demographics on this survey like who was polled. Did they live in a red or blue state? What age did you poll on average? I don't care much for "political" polls becuase just by polling a certain demographic you can sway your results. Just look at CNN and Fox News after the State of the Union Address. You can turn to one channel and it will say 63% of Americans agree with the Presidents speech and flip the channel and 57% of Americans disapprove the presidents speech. You can make stats say pretty much anything you want them to.

Side Note: I love the Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot. Very creative.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
In comparison you have 79% that believe he is Christian, Don't Know, or Don't Care. I personally would like to see more demographics on this survey like who was polled. Did they live in a red or blue state? What age did you poll on average? I don't care much for "political" polls becuase just by polling a certain demographic you can sway your results. Just look at CNN and Fox News after the State of the Union Address. You can turn to one channel and it will say 63% of Americans agree with the Presidents speech and flip the channel and 57% of Americans disapprove the presidents speech. You can make stats say pretty much anything you want them to.

As my old Government professor used to put it, "Statics don't lie, but liars use statics."

Polls can be skewed one way or the other by the way the question is asked, how you ask it, who you ask, and how you report the information. Such as surveying a group of people asking them, "Do approve of the President's latest bill?" Then taking the results as everyone who did approve as being disapproving. Not approving isn't the same thing as disapproving.

But I'm in the, I really don't care what religion he is camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.