My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Junior Among Past Masters

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
My year in the East is done and I've joined the ranks of the Past Masters as our lodge's Junior Past. It was the longest and the fastest year of my masonic journey and was by far the most enjoyable. Looking back on the year I can't help but be stunned at the apparent conflict in my competing memories- for example, I got many more things done than I expected, but I didn't get as many things done as I wanted. Every memory I have of a regret for an unaccomplished "something" is offset by an equally strong memory of "wow, I really got that done?"

My path to the East, my journey passed the chairs has been anything but traditional. Having been raised, and set to labor almost immediately as Junior Deacon followed by Sr. Deacon, I then branched out to sample the Scottish Rite and then found my "masonic spirit" in the Chapter & Council of the York Rite where I spent many years working my way through the chairs and serving as High Priest, Thrice Illustrious Master, and District Deputy Grand High Priest for the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Texas.

I eventually gravitated back to Blue Lodge to complete my journey to the East in the same year that I was installed as Sovereign Master of my AMD Council and as Eminent Governor of my York Rite College- it appears I do nothing the easy way....

Of all the organizations, of all the offices, of all the titles, pins, and automobile emblems, I have to say my year in the East at my lodge has been the most emotional, most fulfilling, and most rewarding of my 17 years since my raising. When I look back on my year it is with fondness and love of the fraternity and my brethren without whom the work and all of the organizations and offices would mean nothing.

As I welcomed our guests to our annual Installation, I wished our new officers well and pledged my support to them as those who preceded me supported me. Most of the installation is a blur in my mind, but as soon as I got home the competing emotions took over. I found myself thinking of things I need to do for the next Stated Meeting, and then remembered that job was now in the hands of my successor. I caught myself wondering why I couldn't remember what my next program was and where I was in the planning- then it hit me, my calendar and programs are finished, my successor and his team have taken charge, and my next duty for our next Stated Meeting is to show up and support my successor, his team, and our lodge. I'm still struck by how abruptly it was over, how fast and how completely my responsibilities changed; but of this I am sure- our lodge has a bright future and I am happy and proud that I was able to play a role in that.

As the Junior among our Past Masters, I have new duties and I am anxious to get started and to help ensure my successor is even more successful than myself. As for the things I didn't get done in my year? If they are or were important, they will come up in due course because, you see, it's about the lodge, not about me.

Thank you brethren for this moment of your time. I simply wanted to "vent" a bit and share some thoughts for whatever value they may have for other members here assembled. I am considering a blog to document my journey from raising to today, now that I have a little more time to myself- not a huge amount, but some.

S&F

Canadian Paul

Worshipful Brother, here you would hold the Office of 'Immediate Past Master' and would have been informed at your lodge's Installation that 'your office is neither elected nor appointed, but is yours by right'. Is that the way things are done in Texas?

Like you, I had been to the Chair in a concordant body before going to the Chair in my mother lodge. I think that experience helped me considerably in my year as Right Worshipful Master. Sometimes 'doing things backwards' turns out to have been the best thing to have done!

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Worshipful Brother, here you would hold the Office of 'Immediate Past Master' and would have been informed at your lodge's Installation that 'your office is neither elected nor appointed, but is yours by right'. Is that the way things are done in Texas?

Like you, I had been to the Chair in a concordant body before going to the Chair in my mother lodge. I think that experience helped me considerably in my year as Right Worshipful Master. Sometimes 'doing things backwards' turns out to have been the best thing to have done!

Yes Bro. Paul, it's very similar. It's not a "position" or an office exactly, but it (Junior Past) is an honorary recognition of the most recent brother who has served the lodge in the East. Many lodges introduce PM's at the opening of every lodge and thank them for their commitment to masonry, their brethren, and the lodge. I recognized our PM's immediately after our opening at every meeting.

I too found that having served in the presiding seats in the Chapter & Council helped tremendously when I progressed to the East in lodge. I had confidence that I understood why and how certain requirements were met, I had withstood four District Deputy "formal visits", I had conducted formal District Deputy visits, and I understood the vital paperwork (audits, tax forms, returns, etc) as I began my year, so surprises were minimized. It was a bit reversed, but it served me very well.

rpbrown

Premium Member
Congratulations Brother. July 9th I too will be Junior Past. However, we have a tradition within our lodge that the JP goes to the Wardens place to be close to the WM in case his assistance is required. At the end of his year as Marshall, he can do another trip through the chairs or sit on the sidelines to serve as needed.

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Yes. Thank you. It has been corrected. The old mind isn't what it used to be.
LOL no worries brother. I was thinking, "right back to the wardens chair after being master?" then I remembered your comment above about the marshall.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member

Same in here. Most brethren in here expressed to me that IPM is a good relief after all those messes in the East.
In our rituals, the IPM is usually being asked by the WM about the Master's place in the opening.

After IPM, normally will be appointed as Tyler or Assistant Director of Ceremonies, depends on different lodges...

Plustax

I've often wondered about the position or place where the JPM goes to after he's done. Although I was raised in GA and now transferred and going thru the chairs here in Texas, I still recall the way it was back there. I recall that the JPM actually stayed sitting in the East and to the left of the WM (Visiting guest chair). We all know that the RT side chair next to WM is for visiting dignataries and even the left for that matter IF and WHEN that happens. The reason it was done in GA is that this was the best place for the JPM who still knows the work as he's just finished doing it for a year. As we all know, most if not all Lodges there are many many "coaches" in the audience that like to either correct the work for the WM when reciting. This often can get confusing if there are too many "coaches" and pretty soon it can lead to losing temporary control... especially for a new WM. The reason the JPM sat at the WMs left or right (if there were no dignitaries that nite) was to be the ONLY person assisting the WM IF and WHEN needed. All he did was simply lean forward and softly speak to "nudge" him along. To me, I was always so impressed with this in how it was done in a very respectful, quiet manner. I mentioned wanting to do this in my lodge and was informed that in our Lodge it is TRADITION that the JPM moves to the Tiler's place. Oh well......... still is a good idea in my book.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
My path to the East, my journey passed the chairs has been anything but traditional. Having been raised, and set to labor almost immediately as Junior Deacon followed by Sr. Deacon, I then branched out to sample the Scottish Rite and then found my "masonic spirit" in the Chapter & Council of the York Rite
My journey is similar so far. After being raised I was elected Senior Deacon 4 months later. I have joined the AASR, including the Knights of St. Andrew, and the York Rite. I am now Junior Warden in my mother lodge and will be installed to two officer positions in the York Rite in two weeks, one in the Chapter and one in the Council. I was raised in August 2014 so I guess that you could say that I hit the ground running. I'm retired so I can devote a good deal of time to these duties. So far......LOVING IT!

Bloke

Premium Member
I've often wondered about the position or place where the JPM goes to after he's done. Although I was raised in GA and now transferred and going thru the chairs here in Texas, I still recall the way it was back there. I recall that the JPM actually stayed sitting in the East and to the left of the WM (Visiting guest chair). We all know that the RT side chair next to WM is for visiting dignataries and even the left for that matter IF and WHEN that happens. The reason it was done in GA is that this was the best place for the JPM who still knows the work as he's just finished doing it for a year. As we all know, most if not all Lodges there are many many "coaches" in the audience that like to either correct the work for the WM when reciting. This often can get confusing if there are too many "coaches" and pretty soon it can lead to losing temporary control... especially for a new WM. The reason the JPM sat at the WMs left or right (if there were no dignitaries that nite) was to be the ONLY person assisting the WM IF and WHEN needed. All he did was simply lean forward and softly speak to "nudge" him along. To me, I was always so impressed with this in how it was done in a very respectful, quiet manner. I mentioned wanting to do this in my lodge and was informed that in our Lodge it is TRADITION that the JPM moves to the Tiler's place. Oh well......... still is a good idea in my book.

Pretty much how it works here... oh - and when our PMs (or MMs) are getting out of line on prompting, we have the WM declare from the East before the degree starts who will prompt. That's the IPM for the WM, Director for floor officers, a PM next to a PM if arranged and advised that will happen, otherwise, all prompts are taken from the Sec table to should be the only person with a ritual book out. Sure, a loud prompt from the Sec is obvious, but it is also clear and ALWAYS CORRECT because he is prompting from the current book.