My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aprons

scialytic

Premium Member
I reread the statute/rule again and it seems like these would not be allowed. So why are they sold (especially in the Texas size)? And where would they be used?

Blue bordered apron with S&C on the bib.

EDIT: After looking into it further, the only aprons offered in Texas size are white member aprons (aside from PM and Officers).

Last edited:

chrmc

I reread the statute/rule again and it seems like these would not be allowed. So why are they sold (especially in the Texas size)? And where would they be used?

Blue bordered apron with S&C on the bib.

I think it's one of those cases where there technically is a rule, but it's one of those one that few people know, and even less people care about. I see different type of aprons in my lodge regularly, and have not yet hear anyone comment negatively on it.

scialytic

Premium Member
Another Masonic mystery. :wink:

It's a conspiracy I say! The Royal Guild of Seamstresses is clearly plotting to catch unexpecting Entered Apprentice Masons off-guard. They get their money AND he gets black-balled...wait, maybe they just want the money.

scialytic

Premium Member
Guess what I got in the mail today...it rhymes with Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas Raw Book.

[To be continued...]

Last edited:

timgould

I do like the idea of putting a personal history, or signifigant items on the Apron. For something to pass down to one's children, it could be something memorable. Many in my family are masons, and shows a rich heritage of our family. I think it woudl look really cool to have my family crest or something like that on my MM apron. JMPO

WT4X

In Tennessee, at least in my district, each lodge has a bin of white cotton aprons (which are usually a dingy yellow color). The officers wear nice aprons embroidered with the emblems of their offices and visiting Past-whatever's bring their own embroidered aprons, but the rank-and-file Master Mason, grabs one from the bin beforte entering the lodge room. There is no reason one could not wear the apron that was presented to him when he was raised, but if he did, he would be uncomfortably conspicuous.

Despite the condition of the "house" aprons, the symbolism of the apron is not lost, and we all wear them in the same frame of mind as if they were the purest, whitest lambskin.

widows son

Premium Member
Is it true in America your aprons are the same from EA to MM, but your officers have decorated aprons? I learned this from a brother who was down in Clearwater

widows son

Premium Member
In Canada our aprons look like your officer aprons, but the border is lighter blue and there are gold tassels and but there's no distinction between our officers aprons and MM aprons. The only difference is in grand officer attire.

JJones

We wear collars with office jewels here in Texas also.

I'm curious that you seemed surprised that our aprons are the same from EA to MM...how are they where you are from?

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Is it true in America your aprons are the same from EA to MM, but your officers have decorated aprons? I learned this from a brother who was down in Clearwater

While the aprons are the same, we wear them differently according to degree. I am immediately obvious as EA from how I wear my apron.

MarkR

Premium Member
Yes and no. In most Grand Jurisdictions, a MM can certainly purchase a nice MM apron and wear it to lodge if he so desires, but the sad reality is that very few do, and most wear the above described dingy, wrinkled, cotton aprons from the stack by the tyler's station. I wish the tradition of brothers owning their own apron had continued (I wonder when it died out in America?) but it hasn't. The aprons by the tyler's station should only be for visitors and forgetful brothers, IMHO.

widows son

Premium Member
Our EA is pure white I think made out of cotton, our FC is pure white with 3 blue rosettes: one at the top 2 at the bottom. And our MM apron is light blue border with the same three rosettes in the same spot bit there are gold S&C in everyone, 2 wide blue tassels with 7 small gold metallic tassels hanging from each, my specific apron has a gold border for our centennial

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Yes and no. In most Grand Jurisdictions, a MM can certainly purchase a nice MM apron and wear it to lodge if he so desires, but the sad reality is that very few do, and most wear the above described dingy, wrinkled, cotton aprons from the stack by the tyler's station. I wish the tradition of brothers owning their own apron had continued (I wonder when it died out in America?) but it hasn't. The aprons by the tyler's station should only be for visitors and forgetful brothers, IMHO.

I did that... My first gift to myself on being raised was one of the old-style 19th-century aprons with blue silk trim... But for the most part in lodge I've worn one of the deacons' apron, depending on which chair I was sent to, and several months ago I bought myself a nice white leather apron that I use when I wander off to other lodges, as well as a royal arch apron for chapter meetings. I think a little pride in your apron, whether plain white or custom, is a good thing...

chrmc

Our EA is pure white I think made out of cotton, our FC is pure white with 3 blue rosettes: one at the top 2 at the bottom. And our MM apron is light blue border with the same three rosettes in the same spot bit there are gold S&C in everyone, 2 wide blue tassels with 7 small gold metallic tassels hanging from each, my specific apron has a gold border for our centennial

Believe it is quite customary to see this as well outside the US. Most lodges in Europe that I know follow this or a similar form.
For instance the Swedish rite has a different apron and other regalia per degree. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.134159201065.139663.125250876065