Cabletow

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Bro. A, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Bro. A

Bro. A Registered User

How long is a cabletow?

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

3. Bro. A

Bro. A Registered User

CLewey44 likes this.
  4. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Like many questions in Freemasonry, there is often more than one answer :)

CLewey44 and Bro. A like this.
  5. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Within the context of Freemasonic Mythology: The length of an individual's cable tow is determined by and proportional to that individual's skills in properly maintaining his responsibilities, duties and obligations external to the Freemasonic organization.

Any instance where an individual doesn't appropriately maintain his responsibilities, duties and obligations external to his Freemasonic activities, roles, obligations is the moment he has exceeded the length of his cable tow.

How long is a cable tow? As long as each individual's properly maintained external responsibilities, duties and obligations.

6. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Acknowledging how you use the words, wouldn't you say "Masonic Mythology" rather than "Freemasonic" or is "Masonic" only concerned with logic and facts ?

7. coachn

I wouldn't say that. Freemasonry is about the organization; "cable-tow" is an organizational term, defined by the organization and used within ritual to convey the limits of ritual obligations as I have conveyed by the precursory "Within the context of Freemasonic Mythology:".
    Masonry is about building. Logic and facts are but small parts of building.

• RM and Bloke like this.
  8. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

See, I don't see the cable tow in an Organizational sense, perhaps extending to society, perhaps to family, but much more personal.. about the obligations I take on as a man; some of these are masonic, but the the most important ones stand outside the fraternity..

9. coachn

This is why I premised it with: "Within the context of Freemasonic Mythology:"

It is an organizational term that's all about the burdens each of us have outside the organization.

10. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

GL of Illinois defines it as 50 miles then ignores that definition and says each Brother defines it for themselves.

It's 50 miles because if you petition a lodge farther than that from home you're supposed to get a lodge closer to your home to submit a "Waiver of Jurisdiction" form to give you permission. It's a rule that gets ignored but the last time I looked the form is still available.

It's also the state border no matter how close you live to the border.

In either case any one Brother can go whatever distance he is willing.

Bro. A likes this.
  11. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Given that the first degree penalty comes under naval jurisdiction (below high tide) it may be that the cable tow is a further reference.

12. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Might be a long bow.. but it is an interesting idea...

13. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Great information, as usual, on this forum. I have learned so much here over the years and continue to do so. Thanks Brothers!

Bro. A and Adrian Martinez like this.
  14. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 Registered User

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a cable length as "about 100 fathoms: in marine charts 605.56 feet, or one tenth of a sea mile.

15. coachn

Is a "cable-tow" equivalent to a "cable length"?

Adrian Martinez likes this.
  16. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 Registered User

That would take a little research to verify. But, if my aging memory serves me, a "cable length" is the distance a level ships cannon could fire a ball before it hit water. Range was increased by raising the muzzle. An enemy ship might be several cable lengths away and adjustments were made to try to hit it.

coachn likes this.
  17. Winter

Winter Premium Member

Just curious, how does this relate to the Masonic Cable Tow we learn about in our rituals?

jermy Bell and Warrior1256 like this.
  18. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

My Cable Tow does not have a length,Always willing to assist in anyway I can, I only look down on Brothers when I'm helping them up./G\SMIB, I was raised that that way...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Bro. A likes this.
  19. Bro. A

Bro. A Registered User

Yes!!! The Cabletow shouldn't have a length. It should be endless.

jermy Bell and Warrior1256 like this.
  20. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I remember asking my mentor how long it was (after it had become a part of my life). He told me, “only you can answer that.”

Bro. A likes this.

Share My Freemasonry