My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did you wear any EA or FC "bling"?

nixxon2000

Premium Member
Kind of started this in another topic and thought it deserved its own.

I know it's per jurisdiction but if it was allowed did you wear anything? What was it?

dfreybur

Premium Member
The first time I ever saw any EA or FC symbol on jewelry was around 10 years after I was raised. It's so rare I think that's why traditions and rules about jewelry are based on wearing the S&C.

Bro Darren

Premium Member
Here is Victoria Australia the UGL gives all new EA's a welcome pack and in this pace is a S&C lapel pin and bumper sticker to display right off the bat. I was surprised and asked if it was ok for a new mason to wear or display the S&C and I was told that in Victoria we are allowed to display them. I also have a Mason ring and I double checked if I was ok to wear that and I was told that I was more than welcome to wear it.

Browncoat

At least Australia gets it right. It's absurd to me that in most US jurisdictions, we're not allowed to wear the bling until raised as a MM.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
I guess that is something I don't understand. Just because your an EA or FC doesn't mean your not a Mason. You are a mason just not a master. You should still be able to be proud and show off what is changing your life.

It's just my opinion. This might be another topic.

Still the replies are interesting.

mcaldwell

Premium Member
I honestly think I do not deserve to wear anything until I earn the privilege. I would hate to think that I would misrepresent the fraternity in my present ignorance to anyone in the general public. I am just an EA. I am aware of my charge, that is it.

Rob427W

I'm a FC a month and a half away from being Raised, and I truly appreciate not being allowed to wear Light until that time.

Nothing given is appreciated in the same way as if you had earned it.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
If you are an EA or a FC, look at it this way: How are the S&C positioned on most rings/pins/caps/stickers/etc.? Both legs of the compasses are on top. Is that the position in which they are placed to open an EA or FC lodge?

I think of it as if when I was in the Navy and a Petty Officer 3rd Class ... let's say one day I decided to wear the insignia of a Petty Officer 1st Class; that would be OK, we're all in the Navy, right?
*(that's not an illustration to suggest a MM "outranks" others in the lodge, rather to show there are differences in insignias)

If your jurisdiction allows it, that's fine and your right. My jurisdiction does not. EAs and FCs are considered Masons, but they aren't really considered lodge members. They don't pay dues, don't vote, don't attended stated meetings, aren't listed on the lodge rolls, and don't have anything identifying them as Masons (i.e. dues cards). EAs and FCs can only go to degree work equal to that of which they have received. If traveling to a lodge other than their own, they must be accompanied by a MM.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
I think I should clarify one point. There are rings and pins and other items with the EA or FC symbol on them. It's not that you should wear the S and C the MM way. They do position the C with the correct point(s) on the S.

I think an EA or FC wearing anything that's the same as a MM is incorrect unless give to him by the lodge.

Browncoat

That's all fine and dandy. But at the end of the day, it has no real significance. It's all pomp and circumstance, and nothing more. If wearing the ring had any REAL implications, the rules would be the same across the board. I'm all for tradition, but the idea that wearing a piece of jewelry is a "right to be earned" was clearly cooked up in the modern era.

It's a fraternal ring, period. We can add all the additional symbolism, significance, and ceremony to it that we want, but it's not an exclusive ring. Anyone anywhere can purchase and wear one, even non-Masons. One could argue that the attached rite of passage is along the lines of a high schooler's class ring.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
If "wearing bling" (something I have never referred to my ring as) is a person's goal, they are missing the meaning of Freemasonry. If following the traditions and rights of passage of the fraternity are not important to a person, why bother with learning lectures, etc? A person could just read some stuff on the internet, buy themselves some "bling" and declare themselves to be a Mason.

Browncoat

I'm arguing that it's the other way around. It's you who are missing the point...it's just a ring. Many jurisdictions do not have an actual hard and fast rule about the ring, it's mostly just implied by the rank and file. That's just a fact.

Additionally, the emblem on a lot of rings is not 3 dimensional. There is no way to tell if the compass points are on top or behind the square. So if someone were to wear it as an EA or FC ring, it shouldn't raise any eyebrows. That's irrelevant anyway, as I would also argue that the symbol on the ring is not some kind of ranking notation anyway, its the universal S&C symbol for Freemasonry.

I don't know how anyone can lecture about the significance of a piece of jewelry with a straight face without citing official rulings on the subject. If it were really that big of a deal, Grand Lodges would have actual rules in place for rings. Some do, but again, most do not.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Some things fall under the modern, young person's sense of entitlement. When I was in high school, in the military, starting my career, joining a fraternal organization ... I didn't automatically assume I was entitled to the same privileges as those who had been around the block a while.

Browncoat, judging by your avatar, you are a Fellow Craft Mason. Remember, sometimes when you wear the emblem of that which you have not achieved and get questioned on it, although your response may be a natural one, the reply you get might not be what you expect.

Browncoat

Again, you're missing the point. Show me in the bylaws that says the ring is a mark of achievement. You can't, because it doesn't exist. It isn't about priveledge or entitlement. That ring is the mark of a Master Mason because the guys at your Lodge said so. Not because Freemasonry says so.

Show me in any bylaws or credible source on Freemasonry that says the ring serves in any official capacity in the Craft.

I'm playing a bit of Devils Advocate here, because I personally believe in honoring the tradition. That waiting for the ring is the "right" thing to do. But that is my choice. You seem to believe that there is a law on the books or that everyone is bound to believe the same as you do.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
Unfortunately this thread has gone in a direction I did not intend on it going. To make people argue was not my intent and for that I apologize.

I was simply looking for a yes I have and here is what I wore or no I didn't be because it's not allowed in my district.

I as a "young person" I don't believe it's entitlement to want to wear something. Keeping in mind it in some places it takes a year or more to be raised. For me wearing the EA symbol on my watch face is for me and no one else. It reminds me to ask for assistance from the GAOTU before I take on a task. When I meet someone it reminds me to not judge them my what they look like but by their character. It simply reminds me of our wonderful teachings.

It's not worn as a status symbol but as a reminder as the MM ring is and should be a reminder to its owner of their teachings and lessons they are learning.

Anyway that is my point of view and am sorry if it's not liked by everyone.

I thought this was going to be a fun informative topic not one that sparked frustration.

I'll just have to keep questions like this to myself in the future. Sorry about that.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Under GLoTX, EAs & FCs are not allowed to wear anything, nor are they allowed to have stickers on their vehicles or other property, that would identify themselves as Masons. In addition, we are not allowed to identify them by name in any fashion, such as a newsletter, email, or any other form that could be seen by non-Masons.

This is for their own protection from anti-Masons. EAs & FCs have not yet learned what they can or cannot say to profanes, how to protect themselves from questioning by those inimical to the Craft, nor have they yet taken all of the obligations which bind them to the Fraternity & instruct them in the proper behavior of Masons.

There is nothing wrong with the question you asked. EAs and FCs are and should be naturally curious about what we do & why we do certain things in specific ways. However, they should guard against forming opinions without full & proper knowledge regarding matters involving Masonry.

Last edited:

Browncoat

Agreed. Asking questions is rarely a bad thing. This is a discussion forum, and if everyone shared the same opinion, it would be a pretty dull place.

This is an important topic because it highlights the differences in jurisdictions and separates what is perception vs reality.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
As note, it seems to be a jurisdictional thing.

All I can say, is that in my jurisdiction, EAs and FCs and told not to display "any jewelry or emblems on their car." It was that way more than 20 years ago when I was initiated, and I, as WM, will tell the same thing to the two EAs we have this month when we do their degree work.

Browncoat

As note, it seems to be a jurisdictional thing.

It was that way more than 20 years ago when I was initiated...

And that was the only point I was making here. The ring issue comes up quite a bit, and most of the stigma surrounding it really boils down to "this is how we've always done it."

My jurisdiction (and most of Ohio for that matter) is the same as yours. Its a tradition, but there is no bylaw stating anything concrete about the ring. Seems like a lot of countries outside of the US are a lot more liberal when it comes to this topic.