My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fear of initiation

phljo3

My father was a freemason in the 50's & 60 and until his death in 2019. He or any other Mason could never give me comfort in the initiation process. I remember as a young man, my mother telling me
that my father came home (black man), white as a ghost, sweating and looked like he was scared to death and could not speak of what happened. My entire life so far i have always wanted to be part of
the brother hood but because of my fears and anxieties i never joined. I am now 60 and never have been part of any brother hood. I am alone and really have not much family left. Mother, father and
one son is gone from this earth. over the years i have heard stories like being locked in a coffin from being left alone with deceased people and these things have scared the beJesus out of me. I have my
fathers Mason paraphernalia in a box tapped shut and refuse to open it again, until i am worthy of doing so. I also have other family members and friends who are also freemasons.

I really petrified but i truly need brotherhood in my life and just need some peace and clarity to just not be afraid..

Keith C

No harm will come to you.

Every Freemason goes through the same experiences and have fond memories of them. The Degrees are more experiential lessons than anything else.

Fear no harm.

MarkR

Premium Member
There have been lodges that have, in violation of their Grand Lodge rules, engaged in physical hazing. And there are still clandestine (unrecognized) bodies claiming to be Masonic in which physical hazing of candidates is commonplace, including actual beatings, like a gang "jumping in" ceremony. In any legitmate Masonic lodge, there is absolutely nothing to fear. I assure you that I do not haze, and I will not be hazed. Had there been anything like that in my initiation rituals, I'd have walked away and not looked back.

Bloke

Premium Member
There have been lodges that have, in violation of their Grand Lodge rules, engaged in physical hazing. And there are still clandestine (unrecognized) bodies claiming to be Masonic in which physical hazing of candidates is commonplace, including actual beatings, like a gang "jumping in" ceremony. In any legitmate Masonic lodge, there is absolutely nothing to fear. I assure you that I do not haze, and I will not be hazed. Had there been anything like that in my initiation rituals, I'd have walked away and not looked back.
@phljo3
Good advice above.

I have been a Freemason for 20 years, joining was one of the best decisions you have made.
I would not join the group your father did, sounds like something irregular goes on in that group.

usar123

I agree with all of the comments you will be fine if it’s in your heart it’s time to do it !

Organist

I drug my feet for years and years. I finally did it when I retired. My lodge brothers are like family. After joining, I started kicking myself for having not done this sooner. Your lodge brothers are happy when someone petitions the lodge. They care about you and will not let let you suffer any harm, embarrassment, or humiliation. People who care about others don't let those things happen to others.

Mike P. Warks

My father was a freemason in the 50's & 60 and until his death in 2019. He or any other Mason could never give me comfort in the initiation process. I remember as a young man, my mother telling me
that my father came home (black man), white as a ghost, sweating and looked like he was scared to death and could not speak of what happened. My entire life so far i have always wanted to be part of
the brother hood but because of my fears and anxieties i never joined. I am now 60 and never have been part of any brother hood. I am alone and really have not much family left. Mother, father and
one son is gone from this earth. over the years i have heard stories like being locked in a coffin from being left alone with deceased people and these things have scared the beJesus out of me. I have my
fathers Mason paraphernalia in a box tapped shut and refuse to open it again, until i am worthy of doing so. I also have other family members and friends who are also freemasons.

I really petrified but i truly need brotherhood in my life and just need some peace and clarity to just not be afraid..
Just do it. Nothing bad happens, we all go through it and it isn’t anything sinister at all, it’s a lovely ceremony with real deep meaning.

Illuminatio

Premium Member
As others have pointed out, it sounds like what your father may have unfortunately experienced was at the hands of an irregular/clandestine lodge, and not anything that would be experienced by someone going through a regular, legitimate Masonic Lodge. As you mentioned being in Virginia, if you located and inquired about joining any nearby lodge you find listed on either of the following websites, we can assure you that you will have nothing to fear.

Grand Lodge of Virgina - https://grandlodgeofvirginia.org/
Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Virginia - https://mwphglva.org/

Personally, for your own sake, I hope you're able to start your journey soon. I'm sure that many members here will tell you that joining was one of the best things they've ever done, and Freemasonry can offer you the friendship and brotherly love that it sounds like you are seeking.

One other word of note - you mention other friends and family members being Masons as well. I would caution you that if the lodge they belong to does not show up on either of the websites I linked above, it is very likely to be a clandestine organization like the one we are assuming your father joined, and I would recommend steering clear of such an organization.