My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floorwork for degrees

chrmc

Does Texas have any sort of written guide for floorwork for the degrees? I know that several Grand Lodges put out guides, but can't seem to find one for Texas.

JJones

I don't know of any such guide, if I'm understanding the question correctly. Typically if we're working on some of the ritual we'll try to get our district instructor to visit us during one or two of our practice sessions. I found this to be very helpful while trying to learn how to confer degrees and polish up on opening/closing the lodge.

crono782

Premium Member
Texas has no such official written guide for the floor work (or unofficial that I'm aware of) and no official guide for ritual wording. Schools of instruction and DIs are the vector for YR floor work in TX.

Freemason Connect HD

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The Committee on Work conducts forums around the state that focus on correct floorwork. You do NOT have to take the exam to attend a forum (some Brethren don't attend because they think they'll be required to take the exam).

jwhoff

Premium Member
Ditto Bro. Bill on that one. In fact, if you'd like to see how to take an exam and get a feeling for the process you really should attend at least one forum exam before. Just pick the exam you wish to take and set in among the brethren looking on. No one will mind as long as you quietly monitor the proceedings. I recommend this highly. Just don't get caught holding cue cards! :39:

crono782

Premium Member
No joke. I was taken off guard during my first C certificate exam. The format really throws you the first time!

Freemason Connect HD

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
To help the Brethren in my Lodge who take the certificate exams, I use the same format during our practice sessions- it does take some getting used to!

chrmc

Thanks for the info. Might have to see if I can track some of those sessions down. Now that we are on the committee of work I've got some more silly questions. Is every DI member of the COW or? If not how big is it, and is the members of this (and other committees for that matter) listed anywhere?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
No, we lowly DI peons work for the members of the Committee, of whom there are five. They are elected for staggered 5-year terms @ Grand Lodge.

The current members are R:.W:. Ricky Dale Brown of Seagoville, R:.W:. Terry Stogner of Lamesa, R:.W:. Cliff Earl Jones of Hereford, R:.W:. Duane Anthony of Orange, and R:.W:. T.K. Anthony (no relation to Duane) of San Antonio.

Their schedules are listed both on the Grand Lodge website and at the back of the Grand Master's Directory, copies of which your Lodge secretary should have. The Directory also contains the names & contact information for all the Grand Lodge officers, including the DDGMs, all the DIs, and all members of the various GL Committees.

Last edited:

scribe1384pm

Bill what's with the cow and the gavel raps change? Sounds like more crossing the t's and dotting I's IMHO .

Freemason Connect HD

scribe1384pm

Bill it has to do with the manner of using the gavel by the principal officers during opening and closing of the various lodges and during degree work. I'm sure the COW can enlighten further .

Freemason Connect HD

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I attended the forum & exam in Victoria a week ago yesterday- nothing about any change in the gavels. Please PM me with specifics.

scribe1384pm

Bro bill , I sent you a PM. Not sure if you received it as my post count doesn't meet forum requirements in MoT

Freemason Connect HD

Jason S

The GL of MD has what's called a blue book which is given to officers so we can practice when we have a free moment. The DGL for my lodge is actually one of our past masters and attends most of our practices. If he cannot make it another DGL/ past master from our lodge will fill in

Freemason Connect HD