My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food Inc.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I hear this movie is an eye opener...

[video=youtube;UXSxJF43XGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXSxJF43XGA[/video]

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
the 21st century's "The Jungle?"

can't listen to sound at work.

Nate Riley

Premium Member
I recommend it! It is an eye opener. Now it is at one extreme and as with any of these kind of expose documentaries the truth is probably somewhere more toward the center. But it is a good starting place if you want to start researching where your food comes from.

And if you are interested in some natural beef, let me know.

Last edited:

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
This is a good primer if you're just now starting to pay attention to food issues and how its produced. It's broad reaching and starts you off on a lot of food topics.

I was bored a little, but only because I've been following these issues for several years now.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
It was pretty good, some of their points seem off, like not buying vegtibles in winter, and of course starving out third world countries...

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Wasn't their focus on buying "in season" local vegetables? Which part about starving out third world countries.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
Imported produce. A lot of it around the country now, never saw much before. many of the cheapo grocery stores and "dollar stores" have produce from china, and similar countries in them. They have a lot of coloring to them, and just don't have a good appearance to them. I've had people show me the stuff, and ask me about it. I told them I didn't like the idea of the types of coloring used, and there did not appear to be any controls used when they were brought in. In years past, there was good produce brought up from Mexico, but now, even that is not good during the Winter. We grow a lot of our own, and can have it year round, as long as we don't let it freeze. I have a couple of small green houses we use. Simple made, using 2X4's in an A-frame shape, and heavy plastic stapled over them. Easy to heat, and can open during the day. Clear plastic allows sunlight in. I LOVE my veggies... Oh, and they have real color, not imitation :)

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I worked in a produce warehouse for a few years. An eyeopener for me was when we got some fruit that wasn't ripe enough (in Austin) so we shipped them down to San Antonio to "get gassed" and then shipped them back up the next morning to go out to the various restaurants, etc. Perfectly "ripe"