My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry moral values, secret or not?

johnvranos

Hello all,

I am not a Freemason, but I am interested in becoming one.

I study various Freemasonic moral values, I find in the Internet, written by Freemasons.

I try to apply them every day.

An example is the following:

The following is what I believe is a list of what modern Freemasons accept as basic beliefs of Masonic thought. This can be described as a system of belief and therefore an ethical system. One will see in them a positive link to the past. Indeed, I have set them out as fifteen points, copying that of the Regius Manuscript. A speculative Freemason believes:

1) In a God as a Supreme Being;

2) That that God is a creative God who makes the Universe and everything in it, including ourselves;

3) That the Volume of the sacred Law of an individual brother is a spiritual guide for him;

4) That the Craft, (i.e. the speculative system), is formed to promote in the mind of a brother that he is an individual capable of refining his mind, and through that, his conduct;

5) That the way to alter a brother’s thinking is not by compulsion or force, but by demonstration and example;

6) That the way this is done is based on the practices of the ancient operative stonemason, but which today are moralistic in their view on the various subjects concerned, and illustrated by symbols;

7) That a Masonic life can be made by being moral and following the theological and moral virtues and the Masonic principles;

8) That the theological virtues are Faith, Hope and Charity in its widest sense;

9) That the moral virtues are Temperance, Fortitude, Prudence and Justice;

10) That the Masonic principles are Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth;

11) That the characteristics of a Freemason are Virtue, Honour and Mercy;

12) That he has a duty to God, his neighbour and to himself;

13) That a Freemason is a worker, and through his work he gives service to others, by doing which, he fulfils his own innate capabilities;

14) That his physical body is likened to a Temple which houses within it a portion of the Holy Spirit given by God;

15) That his mind, animated by the Spirit of God is, if he follows our teachings, brought to the fullest perfection it is capable of hereon Earth, and that at his death it will be built into the Supreme Being’s Universal Spiritual Temple of Mankind.

No doubt others could add many more items, but these items, numbered one to fifteen, can be described as an invisible boundary within which a man who describes himself as a Freemason could comfortably live.

What then is considered unmasonic? He would be one who stepped outside that invisible boundary. He would be one whose general conduct, wherever he is, within a lodge or out in the world itself, would fall short of the high ideals Freemasons set for themselves. He would do this by dishonest conduct, dissembling, talking behind peoples' backs, carrying tales, toadying to a superior for personal gain, taking work from someone else who is capable of doing it, being an enthusiast or fanatical about something, acting against his employers, the civil authorities or the laws of the country, and by denying a personal belief in a God. In our Craft we have brethren who are masons and yet who are not Masons in the truest sense of the word. As Bro. Dudley Wright puts it: "They are the ones who think brotherhood means a small group or clique of their friends, to whom relief means grudgingly handing over a few coins after they have satisfied their own pleasures, and to whom truth means that which does not clash with their own preconceived opinions and prejudices".

My question is the following:

Are the Freemasonic moral values considered a secret when you are a Freemason? Because I try to apply the Freemasonic rules, as if I was a Freemason.

If they are not considered secrets, I will share and discuss them with other people I know, who are not Freemasons either.

Thank you a lot.

Last edited:

Elexir

I would belive that this would be applied to most freemasonry. Number 4 is in the Swedish rite more tightly bound to christianity though.

And no you should not disscuss your wiew on masonic values with other non-masons when your not a freemason as you will give the impression to know more about freemasonry then you do.
You do not truly have a grasp on things until you are a freemason.

As a trick question: what is masonic ritual for?

johnvranos

I would belive that this would be applied to most freemasonry. Number 4 is in the Swedish rite more tightly bound to christianity though.

And no you should not disscuss your wiew on masonic values with other non-masons when your not a freemason as you will give the impression to know more about freemasonry then you do.
You do not truly have a grasp on things until you are a freemason.

As a trick question: what is masonic ritual for?

Thank you for your reply.

I do not know much about masonic rituals, I only know they are secret.

Is discussion of freemasonic moral values a secret for freemasons?

Thank you a lot.

Last edited:

Elexir

The rituals teach what the values are and how they are understood and used. Without ritual knowledge you dont know how masons use masonic values. So yes the deeper disscusion about the subject is secret since how they are thought and understood is secret

Bloke

Premium Member
Hello all,

I am not a Freemason, but I am interested in becoming one.

I have been studying various Freemasonry moral values, I find in the Internet, written by Freemasons.

I try to apply them every day.

An example is the following:

The following is what I believe is a list of what modern Freemasons accept as basic beliefs of Masonic thought. This can be described as a system of belief and therefore an ethical system. One will see in them a positive link to the past. Indeed, I have set them out as fifteen points, copying that of the Regius Manuscript. A speculative Freemason believes:

1) In a God as a Supreme Being;

2) That that God is a creative God who makes the Universe and everything in it, including ourselves;

3) That the Volume of the sacred Law of an individual brother is a spiritual guide for him;

4) That the Craft, (i.e. the speculative system), is formed to promote in the mind of a brother that he is an individual capable of refining his mind, and through that, his conduct;

5) That the way to alter a brother’s thinking is not by compulsion or force, but by demonstration and example;

6) That the way this is done is based on the practices of the ancient operative stonemason, but which today are moralistic in their view on the various subjects concerned, and illustrated by symbols;

7) That a Masonic life can be made by being moral and following the theological and moral virtues and the Masonic principles;

8) That the theological virtues are Faith, Hope and Charity in its widest sense;

9) That the moral virtues are Temperance, Fortitude, Prudence and Justice;

10) That the Masonic principles are Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth;

11) That the characteristics of a Freemason are Virtue, Honour and Mercy;

12) That he has a duty to God, his neighbour and to himself;

13) That a Freemason is a worker, and through his work he gives service to others, by doing which, he fulfils his own innate capabilities;

14) That his physical body is likened to a Temple which houses within it a portion of the Holy Spirit given by God;

15) That his mind, animated by the Spirit of God is, if he follows our teachings, brought to the fullest perfection it is capable of hereon Earth, and that at his death it will be built into the Supreme Being’s Universal Spiritual Temple of Mankind.

No doubt others could add many more items, but these items, numbered one to fifteen, can be described as an invisible boundary within which a man who describes himself as a Freemason could comfortably live.

What then is considered unmasonic? He would be one who stepped outside that invisible boundary. He would be one whose general conduct, wherever he is, within a lodge or out in the world itself, would fall short of the high ideals Freemasons set for themselves. He would do this by dishonest conduct, dissembling, talking behind peoples' backs, carrying tales, toadying to a superior for personal gain, taking work from someone else who is capable of doing it, being an enthusiast or fanatical about something, acting against his employers, the civil authorities or the laws of the country, and by denying a personal belief in a God. In our Craft we have brethren who are masons and yet who are not Masons in the truest sense of the word. As Bro. Dudley Wright puts it: "They are the ones who think brotherhood means a small group or clique of their friends, to whom relief means grudgingly handing over a few coins after they have satisfied their own pleasures, and to whom truth means that which does not clash with their own preconceived opinions and prejudices".

My question is the following:

Are the Freemasonry moral values considered a secret when you are a Freemason? Because I try to apply the Freemasonry rules, as if I were a Freemason.

If they are not considered secrets, I will share and discuss them with other people I know, who are not Freemasons either.

Thank you a lot.
Congratulations - I think you've done a pretty good job there..

There is the odd thing in what you have written that I would tweak, but you've obviously done some reading.

.....If they are not considered secrets, I will share and discuss them with other people I know, who are not Freemasons either..

According to my local obligations and customs, they are not considered secret, but you can really only have a decent conversation about them in reference to the rituals of Freemasonry, which I am not going to do here on the internet..

If what you have written appeals to you, then I would contact local Freemasons and inquire about becoming a Freemason.

johnvranos

Thank you all for your replies, you helped me a lot.

If what you have written appeals to you, then I would contact local Freemasons and inquire about becoming a Freemason.

Yes, probably I will apply for Freemason sometime in the future.

Thank you all.

Winter

Premium Member
Discussion of morals is never secret. Freemasonry is only one of countless systems that works to promote morality among its members. I wouldn't even call them Masonic Morals. They are simply morals that anyone can apply to their life, whether a member of the Craft or not. The only real secrets that Brothers would not discuss have to do with what we call the modes of recognition and some aspects of the initiation rituals.

I'm curious that you'd want to share or discuss what you call Masonic morals with other non Masons. That comes off, to me anyway, as proselytizing. I may be reading your intent incorrectly though.

But if our system appeals to you then, by all means, seek out your local Lodge and discuss the possibility of joining. Keep us informed of your progress and good luck.

johnvranos

I'm curious that you'd want to share or discuss what you call Masonic morals with other non Masons. That comes off, to me anyway, as proselytizing. I may be reading your intent incorrectly though.

I only talk to a couple of people very close to me, not everyone. But I will keep your advice in mind.

But if our system appeals to you then, by all means, seek out your local Lodge and discuss the possibility of joining. Keep us informed of your progress and good luck.

Thank you. If I join Freemasonry, I will post in the forum.

Pointwithinacircle3

The following is what I believe is a list of what modern Freemasons accept as basic beliefs of Masonic thought. This can be described as a system of belief and therefore an ethical system.
It is certainly true that Freemasonry can be seen as a system of thought, and therefore as a “system of belief”. However, that is not how I see the Craft. To me Freemasonry is work. It is a thing you do. It is action. The morals and virtues that Freemasonry teaches are guides to that action. When a person takes action they receive a result. The results of a man’s actions are something that he must earn for himself, no one can give them to him. If a man acts virtuously these results may include dignity, self respect, and a sense of personal honor. I find it useful to have the support of a group of men as I endeavor to achieve these goals.

Winter

Premium Member
It is certainly true that Freemasonry can be seen as a system of thought, and therefore as a “system of belief”. However, that is not how I see the Craft. To me Freemasonry is work. It is a thing you do. It is action. The morals and virtues that Freemasonry teaches are guides to that action. When a person takes action they receive a result. The results of a man’s actions are something that he must earn for himself, no one can give them to him. If a man acts virtuously these results may include dignity, self respect, and a sense of personal honor. I find it useful to have the support of a group of men as I endeavor to achieve these goals.

How do you reconcile that with the most common definition of Freemasonry that can be found virtually everywhere the Craft is discussed, "Freemasonry is a system of morality, veiled in allegory, and taught by symbols." Though I wholeheartedly agree that actions are louder than words. Acta non Verba.

Pointwithinacircle3

How do you reconcile that with the most common definition of Freemasonry that can be found virtually everywhere the Craft is discussed, "Freemasonry is a system of morality, veiled in allegory, and taught by symbols." Though I wholeheartedly agree that actions are louder than words. Acta non Verba.
I see thoughts, feelings, and actions as circular in nature, each affecting the other two. Morality governs all three. I see no conflict.

johnvranos

My history with Freemasonry began 2-3 months ago, when I decided to read more details about it online.

Now, I search for Masonic moral values online, learn them, and apply them.

Some of them are:

Faith, Hope and Charity

Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth

Virtue, Honour and Mercy

Since September, I have been donating a few money to "The smile of the child" organisation monthly.

https://www.hamogelo.gr/gr/en

Before I discover the Freemasonic moral values, I was not donating anything to anyone, although I had ethical values.

Also, I have given up some bad habits, like talking behind people's backs, or being a fan/enthusiast about something, and I do not discuss political topics with others to avoid conflicts, etc.

Freemasonry has improved me as a person already, without being a Freemason.

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
...What then is considered unmasonic?
Unjustified incivility-disrespect-intolerance-inconsideration-hostility-etc... When are such behaviors justified? When a life is on the line and the danger to it is unyielding to reason, respect, compassion, and consideration.
...Are the Freemasonic moral values considered a secret when you are a Freemason?
Nothing you have shared in your original post is secret.
...what is [free]masonic ritual for?
To introduce men to Masonry.
...Is discussion of freemasonic moral values a secret for freemasons?
Nothing you have shared in your original post is secret.

BTW - Charity is a word translated from the Greek word "agape", which loosely translates to "unconditional love", not the giving om money, as it is now universally accepted to be.

otherstar

BTW - Charity is a word translated from the Greek word "agape", which loosely translates to "unconditional love", not the giving om money, as it is now universally accepted to be.

The concept yes (charity=agape). The actual word, no. Charity the word actually comes from it's Latin cognate, "caritas" (which also means love in the same sense as agape...agape has no direct English equivalent other than charity, which comes from caritas).

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
The concept yes (charity=agape). The actual word, no. Charity the word actually comes from it's Latin cognate, "caritas" (which also means love in the same sense as agape...agape has no direct English equivalent other than charity, which comes from caritas).
Yes. However, we are not talking about the original meaning here. We are talking about what most people take it to be today.

Unfortunately, as with many things well-intended, semantic drift has buried that original meaning under a mountain of superficial platitudes. As a result, when the modern day individuals hear "charity", they have NO clue how that connects with agape.

Charity today as a word has drifted in meaning to the point where it's unrecognizable with its original meaning. Hence the warning in the bible about giving without love. Giving without love ain't the same thing as agape... AND in today's understanding, if you were to explain it, Unconditional love is totally different from what we understand today to be charity.

To drive home all these points, I prefer agape over charity and when it comes to referring to this in freemasonic circles, I throw in "unconditional love" so those who are listening will understand that it's NOT just forking over wallet notes.

johnvranos

I do not know what you were taught by Freemasonry about the word agape, I am Greek, and "agape" means exactly "love" in modern Greek. Not unconditional love, or something else.

But, if you write something like "Agape", which is equivalent to "Love", you can mean unconditional love, as in English.

Last edited:

Winter

Premium Member
I do not know what you were taught by Freemasonry about the word agape, I am Greek, and "agape" means exactly "love" in modern Greek. Not unconditional love, or something else.

Look up the ancient practice of the Agape, or Love Feasts, in the early centuries of the Christian church.

johnvranos

Look up the ancient practice of the Agape, or Love Feasts, in the early centuries of the Christian church.
I edited my post before seeing your reply. Yes, I do not know the subjects you mentioned, I only wrote about the modern word.

Winter

Premium Member
I edited my post before seeing your reply. Yes, I do not know the subjects you mentioned, I only wrote about the modern word.

Very understandable. It will help your studies to remember that many of the concepts and even terminology are often rooted in ancient philosophies and may have very different connotations in the modern world. This can often create confusion for someone just beginning to research.