From Religion to Mythology?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by scottmh59, Aug 12, 2009.

1. jvarnell

jvarnell Premium Member

"Religion to Mythology" the problem with a lot that has been said here on this subject is that all masons must beleive in some sort of GAOTU. That may or may not be apart of a formal religion. A religion is formality of a belief. the problem is the word "Mythology" which means you don't respect my belief so you say it is fake. I have a theory that all that use the the word "Mythology" have no belief in anything.

dfreybur likes this.
  2. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I disagree. Mythology is generally used by the conquering religion. The Roman religion was dominant when Jesus was born. When Christianity became dominant the Roman religion became “mythology.”
    I do agree with your first statement about calling someone’s religion “mythology” being disrespectful, though.

dfreybur and Warrior1256 like this.
  3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Agreed.
    Also agreed.

4. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Joseph Campbell defined mythology as other people's religions.

The problem with the use of the word "mythology" is that many use it to dismiss a belief system. In truth, it's all mythology if you understand what the word actually means in the hands of a professional.

5. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

That's a modern retrofit to dismiss religion in general, including whatever our own happens to be.

The majority never have direct personal experience of deity. A minority have always had, and continue to have, direct personal experience of deity. Why it's not all or none is one puzzle of religion. The experiences of the minority are the point of origin of religion. Some experience the divine. Others who don't chose to believe or chose to disbelieve. All else in religion follows. That includes the discovery that religion can be used to control.

Across history most religions have not mandated belief. Belief was common but not mandatory. Most religions are about correct action, orthopraxy, not about correct belief, orthodoxy. See the terms cultural Jew, ethnic Hindu, small boat Buddhist for not requiring belief.

This makes our requirement to believe potentially problematic from members of religions outside of the JCI family or older than Christianity within the JCI family. Belief is a choice independent of membership.

Scripture - The allegories of my religion. Mythology - The allegories of your religion. In many cases that's how the words are used.

I offer a different division that might be useful. Myths - The stories of any religion, independent of whether its yours, mine, new or ancient. Practice - What the members of any one religion do. Belief - What the members are taught to believe.

6. coachn

Joseph Campbell said it best: A Myth is a metaphor; Religions are filled with metaphors. Hence, religions by their very nature are mythic.

dfreybur and Warrior1256 like this.
  7. Warrior1256

Whew....philosophically deep. You make me think coachn.

coachn likes this.
  8. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I think "mythology" is wider than that.... for instance, there is a "mythology" around many aspects of WW2. I don't think myth is just used for something which did not exist, but also something historic for which there are not accurate historical sources independently verifiable. .... or maybe just the status of something, like a Victoria Cross winner, for whom people project and espouse all sorts of thoughts, feelings and actions which we just cannot know to be true.

9. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Myth: 1830, from French Mythe (1818) and directly from Modern Latin mythus, from Greek mythos "speech, thought, story, myth, anything delivered by word of mouth," of unknown origin.

Thus if ancient peoples did not have writing, every tradition from them is myth.

Incas used knotted cords to record stories - and taxes.

10. coachn

The label "mythology" is only viewed as disrespectful by the ignorant and those who sincerely and earnestly believe their chosen religion is not based upon mythos. No, I was not being redundant.

Myths communicate truths. It is most unfortunate that the manner those truths are conveyed is too often as historic fact and taken as such. The result usually brings forth arguments, war and death when others don't go along for the ride.

dfreybur, Bloke and Warrior1256 like this.
  11. Warrior1256

I must say that I had not thought of the topic in this context before. Something to consider.

coachn likes this.
  12. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

And sometimes not just truths - but how we want the world to be or how we want something viewed - projecting preferred values onto the story or "myth".

Warrior1256 and coachn like this.
  13. Warrior1256

Yep.

14. coachn

Mythologies help shape your view of the world and if it is done right, it puts you in harmony with a nature that nurtures.

Bloke and Warrior1256 like this.
  15. Warrior1256

I like that.

Bloke likes this.
  16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Spot on Coach - more, its exactly how Freemasonry used Myth - and why we love creating them, from degrees to "masonic history" which appears in books..

coachn likes this.
  17. coachn

I'm afraid that we shall have to agree to agree here Brother. Darn! Where's all the good debate fodder when ya need it? ;-)

Bloke likes this.
  18. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Don't worry Brother - we will find something to argue about and liven up things... but please it's not this week, debating is something which takes a lot of energy and this week's already demanding enough... :)

19. coachn

Well... okay... but only 'cause ya asked me nicely...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Bloke and Warrior1256 like this.
  20. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Hahahahaha I’ve seen that before....very funny

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry