My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Good Ole Days"

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I was speaking with a neighbor of mine today and the topic of Freemasonry came up. I learned that his father (who is now deceased) was a free mason. I asked the guy who I was speaking to did his dad ever talk about the free masons. He said no, dad always said it was something we just don't talk about. Also, I remember when I was a kid, I asked a few older men what the "Square and Compass" emblem was and they would always say I can't talk about it. I only remember seeing rings, car emblems and maybe a ball cap here and there. Free masons are now more in the open and willing to discuss masonry than the older generation. What do you think has changed? and why was the older generation so adamant about keeping it hush hush ?

MarkR

Premium Member
I've found that most of the men who won't talk about it take that position because they don't know what they can talk about, so the safe position is to talk about nothing. And some just enjoy making it all seem more mysterious and powerful than it really is.

JJones

I think older generations tended to take solemn obligations more seriously than those who came after. These days we're practically looking for any opportunity to tell potential members everything about the fraternity in hopes of getting a new member.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I think older generations tended to take solemn obligations more seriously than those who came after. These days we're practically looking for any opportunity to tell potential members everything about the fraternity in hopes of getting a new member.
Bro Jones. Do you think it's almost as they took everything literal in their obligations verses some things being allegorical ?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I don't know if taking ritual literally was the cause of silence. But I do remember a brother most upset with me when I referred to the Hiramic "myth." "Are you telling me they've been lying to us?" He exclaimed? He was unwilling to believe it wasn't true, and not allegory.

Last edited:

JJones

I don't think they took everything too literally, my grandfather never told me about anyone enacting the penalties, for example.

I do think they took it seriously though. Putting your hand on Holy Bible and swearing and oath meant something back then, much like it still should today.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I don't think they took everything too literally, my grandfather never told me about anyone enacting the penalties, for example.

I do think they took it seriously though. Putting your hand on Holy Bible and swearing and oath meant something back then, much like it still should today.
I totally agree. If someone asks me a question and I and not sure if this is a subject I am allowed to speak of then I don't.

MarkR

Premium Member
I take my obligations very seriously. I also understand them, and what they prohibit me from discussing with the profane. And, at least in my jurisdiction, that's really not a lot. I basically don't talk about what ritual contains, or the modes of identification. I will talk generally about allegory and symbols and how they play into making us better men. Then I can certainly talk freely about things the lodge does other than ritual. I want men who think they are interested to have a realistic understanding.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Could "not talking about it" stem from the events of ww2?

http://h2g2.com/entry/A25741596

I read this the other day. I am not sure if Bro mike Martin posts here. It deals with freemasonry in britain. However I wonder if returning vets carried stories about the oppression of freemasonry during ww2.

Who knows what was going on with Edgar Hoover after the war with masonic groups. Does anyone have any info on that?

As for ritual being secret... my obligation deals with the modes of recognition only. Remember, our obligations, even in mouth to ear states, is written down somewhere minus the "secrets."

My Grand Lodge addresses the "not secret" portions by enacting legislation to make it secret.

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Well, some suspect he spied on everyone, but I doubt he targeted brother Masons because of the membership.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Hoover was a Mason.

"Hoover’s Masonic career was all in Washington, D.C.
He was a member of Federal Lodge No. 1; Justice Lodge No. 46 (charter member); Lafayette Chapter No. 5,
R.A.M.; Washington Commandery No. 1; Scottish Rite Bodies, coroneted 33º,
Grand Cross; Almas Shrine and was an active member of the International Supreme Council,
Order of DeMolay."

hanzosbm

Premium Member
These days we're practically looking for any opportunity to tell potential members everything about the fraternity in hopes of getting a new member.

And the Grand Lodges are the ones doing the push. Everyone talks about 'well, my jurisdiction says I can talk about everything!'. That's great, and your obligation said to follow what was laid down by the GL, but in my opinion, the GL are wrong on this. All of our rituals are done in private with very careful consideration made to keep out anyone who isn't a brother, but then the GL says that none of that is secret except one or two words? Come on, that's BS. If none of the rest was secret, you could have families present at the degree and then give the grips and words in private. Grand Lodges are trying to skirt the intent to advertise and get more members.
Masons of previous generations didn't have this problem. What happened in lodge was for the brothers and the brothers only, therefore, anything taught in lodge was rightfully secret and therefore should not be discussed with those outside.

I'll freely admit to being hypocritical in this and having very open discussions on this forum. Why? Because once again, we've lost our way and it's next to impossible to have these discussions IN lodge anymore, so if someone actually wants to discuss Masonry, it needs to be done wherever possible. So, yes, I take advantage of, what is in my opinion, a serious mistake on the part of the GLs. Honestly, I wish we could go back to having meaningful discussions as the PURPOSE of lodge meetings and keep everything private. But, I doubt we'll ever see those days again.