My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Identifying 1900s Uniform

CLewey44

The heart of Masonry is the first three degrees. There's enough material there to study for more than one lifetime.

All other orders are optional and additional. The York Rite is one of those optional and additional bodies. As such all York Rite members are Masons but not all Masons are York Rite members. The Scottish Rite and Shrine are other well known optional and additional Masonic organizations.

The York Rite teaches chivalry. The symbols on that exquisite sword are symbols of chivalry across the centuries.
Lol, yeah I knew that, I was just asking for clarification of their question. :)

KimJ

The heart of Masonry is the first three degrees. There's enough material there to study for more than one lifetime.

All other orders are optional and additional. The York Rite is one of those optional and additional bodies. As such all York Rite members are Masons but not all Masons are York Rite members. The Scottish Rite and Shrine are other well known optional and additional Masonic organizations.

The York Rite teaches chivalry. The symbols on that exquisite sword are symbols of chivalry across the centuries.
Thank you.
Do you know what makes very sad and somewhat angry?
This is my grandfathers sword. My sister has it hanging on her wall.
She had no idea who this man was, just that he was a relative.
I have been doing my family tree and it took me a couple years to get her to give me pictures of it.
She has no desire past knowing who he is.
No interest in the story or history behind any of it.
Sadder still, it will go to her son who cares even less.
He wants it just because "It's cool"

CLewey44

Your grandfather is in a place now where none of this stuff matters to him. He's been divested of all things and is at total peace I'm sure. I know it's memorable for the family though. Wish you the best, @KimJ

Bloke

Premium Member
Thank you.
Do you know what makes very sad and somewhat angry?
This is my grandfathers sword. My sister has it hanging on her wall.
She had no idea who this man was, just that he was a relative.
I have been doing my family tree and it took me a couple years to get her to give me pictures of it.
She has no desire past knowing who he is.
No interest in the story or history behind any of it.
Sadder still, it will go to her son who cares even less.
He wants it just because "It's cool"

Same thing happened to our family bible from the 1850's - it went to one of the few non-church attending members of the family without much sense of history, the only value in it for them will be its old and belonged to my GGGrand father - hopefully that will keep it preserved and because it will be worth a few bucks.. but, it's only a thing, and like us, will only exist for a moment.... but I'd like if the moment was in my care ! :)

KimJ

Same thing happened to our family bible from the 1850's - it went to one of the few non-church attending members of the family without much sense of history, the only value in it for them will be its old and belonged to my GGGrand father - hopefully that will keep it preserved and because it will be worth a few bucks.. but, it's only a thing, and like us, will only exist for a moment.... but I'd like if the moment was in my care ! :)
Sad.
To me these things have no monetary value, they are to be treasured, protected, passed on to a caretaker.
They are just things, but they are things that meant something to someone, so they should mean something to us.
Life will go on after us, but how much richer the world will be with our treasured memories!