I ASKED...

Discussion in 'Becoming a Prince Hall Freemason' started by Derinique Kendrick, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Derinique Kendrick

Derinique Kendrick Registered User

Good Evening All,

For those who have been seeing my previous posts about my inquiring of joining, I ASKED. Didn't get a direct response (Not sure how that is handled on the other side). A sense of relief and I can somewhat feel at ease. Just playing the waiting game now while anxiously awaiting the follow up.

2. Morris

Morris Premium Member

Petitions vary from lodge to lodge. You've done your part, now I would just recommend showing up for some dinners and light conversations.

Glad to read you took the step!

3. Derinique Kendrick

@Morris thank you for you encouragement and that information. It is greatly appreciated. I will continue to make efforts to fellowship with the brothers while awaiting the next step of the application process. My thing now is doing so without being too pushy or seeming desperate.

I have helped out with 3 events with the most recent being this past Saturday by helping the brothers set up for their Annual District banquet and helping them clean up and pack everything afterwards. I got a chance to meet and talk with the Grand Senior Warden of the State of Georgia. Also the District Deputy Grand Master is a member of the lodge I want to join. I have had a few conversations with him as well.

I'm looking forward to what is to come next. I'm anxious but trying to remain cool and not be too antsy about it. I will continue to make an effort to fellowship with them until I hear back if it isn't along the lines of being too pushy or overstepping any boundaries.

4. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Yah, it's not an immediate answer. Your petition comes up for vote, etc which usually occurs once a month. Take this time to get to know the guys better. It'll pay off.

5. Derinique Kendrick

Didn't receive the petition right when I asked. Is that a good or bad thing? Also is that typical? @crono782

6. RyanC

RyanC Registered User

Keep showing up to the dinners before or after the meetings. Let them get to know you, and see that you truly want to join.

Derinique Kendrick likes this.
  7. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

It's typical. Many lodges wait a few months to make sure the candidate is serious. By your description you are most of the way through that sequence. Keep showing up monthly and ask for your petition each time.

One of the lessons we teach is patience. For me that was one of the hardest lessons to learn.

8. Derinique Kendrick

Haven't been to a dinner or anything remotely close to a meeting of theirs. Would an invite have to be sent or do I inquire about this? @RyanC

9. Derinique Kendrick

@dfreybur I have never been invited to the lodge on meeting days as of yet, I have just been around for public events and helping them prepare and wrap up. And I should ask again next month if I haven't received or continue to be patient. I'm trying to be somewhat modest and not be a pester about it, but it is something that I want.

10. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

We don't usually have petitions on us outside of the lodge, but it sometimes happens. It might be prudent to visit them at the lodge that way, you can ask for a petition and one should be available.

11. RyanC

RyanC Registered User

I would talk too or email the lodge's Secretary about what days they meet and coming to join in the dinner. Also express to him that you would like to join the fraternity. I know my lodge likes to dye it that way so as more members can get to know you.

12. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Strange. Before the monthly meeting is the first time and place to approach a lodge. After sending email so they expect you but not expecting or waiting for a reply from them. The way I find out about most public events is hearing about them at a meeting. It's cool that you've been to public events but that seems to me like a subsequent step not a starting point.

Knock on that door. As brother Daniel Queen writes that's where the petition forms are.

13. NY.Light

NY.Light Registered User

Not sure how age would be relevant...

14. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

30 I think.

mrpierce17 and AmigoKZ like this.
  15. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This is exactly the way that I did it. Just let the guys get to know me a bit before they voted on me.

16. bro.whitec

bro.whitec Registered User

While waiting for the petition to be voted on, take advantage of the time you have to get to know your brethren, the more you know the better it will be

17. BRO. SQUARE

BRO. SQUARE Registered User

Just stay positive and motivated...your time will come. It will be worth the wait!!

18. Derinique Kendrick

Thanks a lot. Needed that encouragement. I sometimes take the hesitance as a sign of resistance or even worse rejection sometimes. I guess not really understanding it all does that to you sometimes @BRO. SQUARE

19. BRO. SQUARE

BRO. SQUARE Registered User

No worries. All of us have been through the same process. It takes time, you will be ok.

20. Raiegn

Raiegn Registered User

When you finally begin and you answer that 2nd question, then it will all cone together like a light coming on. Be patient but like some of the other brothers said stay in contact with at least one brother from the lodge. Just a genuine welfare check is sufficient, no need to hold a long conversation. From the time i walked into the lodge and expressed that i wanted to join the fraternity until the time of initiation was a year. Then 6 months before I was raised. It could talke less or it could take longer. I wish you the best. I too kind of grew anxious, and its only natural because you dont understand the process as of yet but I bet somebody wants to give you a petition but are waiting for you to come in and ask for a petition.

Share My Freemasonry